Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have been challanged by a treager owner?

thunderkwb
thunderkwb Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys, been an owner of my egg for 3 years, now I have a few family and friends who own a treager and are trash talking on the egg. Even though I go through the checklist of what makes the egg better than the treager (I call the yuppie's smoker) they still want to challange. I am all for it, any ideas for cooks or has anyone else ran into treager smack? Thanks, Kevin

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    There are some good pellet smokers out there. Let us know what you cook and good luck.

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Ribs. On the day of the rib throwdown, just sneak over and unplug the d@mn thing.... Heheee. Seriously, Treagers are well designed and most owners are just as proud of them as you are of your Egg.

Let us know who wins the bragging rights.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • challenge him when there's a blizzard
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Maybe try some DP salmon? That is hard to duplicate and impossible to beat :)
    ClayQ's Pulled Pork Tenderloin is winner B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Challenge them to a pizza cookoff :evil: I used a traeger for the superbowl party and it is a decent cooker for what it's designed to do.
  • thunderkwb
    thunderkwb Posts: 18
    I don't have anything against the Pellet machine, but it is like an insecurity for some of them. I told them,in 10 to 15 years I will still have my egg, I am not sure if the traeger will hold up. Oh well it is all in good fun. BTW, I love the unplug strategy.
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    You should accept the challenge. You should be able to win the challenge without any trouble, but just to be sure you can make the rules fit the BGE. After researching the Traeger grills it seems that the only advantage they could possibly have is the use of wood pellets (made from sawdust????) It seems like wood chips in the BGE could impart any flavor that pellets could.

Anyway, I think that the BGE is more versatile, so set up rules like this:

Challenge #1: Traeger owner picks cook and you both make whatever his/her specialty is. Get an impartial judge. After you know what the cook is, post it here and find the best recipe.

Challenge #2: You pick your specialty and you both cook it. Make sure you pick something that the BGE does better. It looks like the Traeger does not get very hot, so maybe do pizza (after you master it) or a prime rib roast that you can sear and then cook lo-and-slo. Or you could pick something that can get too smoky like chicken breasts or vegetables. Make sure the judge likes mild flavors then you can stay away from wood chips.

Challenge #3: If all else fails then make the challenge when your power is out. I guarantee a victory for you then.

In summary, the BGE can do anything the Traeger can do and the BGE forum can make you an expert at any cook. Use these advantages and Traeger owners will soon use them to store their BGE accessories. If you still can't win then take your BGE with you to the enemy camp and flip their electrical circuit after the competition starts!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I second the pizza. Or steaks. Neither is going to be able to touch the egg. If want to get more on a level playing field you will have to cook ribs,birds, or butts.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    According to their site they can smoke, grill and bake. But so can you.

I think I would go over to their site and look at some recipes they are proud of and see which ones you can improve upon using the Egg.

It'll be interesting to see the results.

I know you will represent Eggheads well.

Spring "Better Their Best" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    I've been looking over their recipes and didn't see a one that you couldn't do better.

Here's the ones they list on their site:

http://www.traegergrills.com/share/secret_recipes.cfm

Just pick out a couple or three and go for it.

Keep think'n: "I'm an Egghead and I have the Egg on my side"

Good luck.

Spring "There's Nothing That Can't Be Made Better" Chicken
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Offer to switch fuels. Use his pellets and let him use lump. Who's versitile now? You win!
  • Spring Chicken
    But that's not playing fair.

Best if they both just pick something from the list of Trager recipes and cook the same thing. Then they can compare apples to apples (so to speak).

They should also calculate the operating cost of the cook (how much lump vs how much pellets @ $$$ per pound.

I think they can select their own seasonings and prep steps, as well as accessories.

Someone needs to record the event in photos/videos to keep it honest.

Spring "Turn A Challenge Into A Party" Chicken
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    thunderkwb wrote:
    Hi guys, been an owner of my egg for 3 years, now I have a few family and friends who own a treager and are trash talking on the egg. Even though I go through the checklist of what makes the egg better than the treager (I call the yuppie's smoker) they still want to challange. I am all for it, any ideas for cooks or has anyone else ran into treager smack? Thanks, Kevin

Interesting (but unsurprising) to note that Egg owners are not attacking the Trager, or their owners, whilst the reverse seems to be true for you.

You might want to keep a wary eye on these folks, they could have other undesirable character issues.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I tend to throw in with the Steak, Burgers, Pizza, Bread guys. I don't know what your baking skills are but a nice high hydration Artisan boule or batard (round loaf or big baguette with decorative slashes) would quiet the crowd. Follow up with Ciabbatta or Focaccia. Barring that, in a head to head you might still win the moisture game. I know this is perhaps a very subjective opinion but there isn't any art or romance in pellets, IMO :side:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    "unplug it"? So the damn thing runs on electricity...
    And I guess this toaster oven of a contraption burns some sort of formed pellet?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Heheeee... and you can get one shaped like a pig too. BTW it's pink.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Given the Egg is so good at keeping moisture n the foods it cooks, I'd look to cook something that moisture is at a premium for. As easy/basic as Spatchcock Chicken is, I'd include it in the mix of things to square off with. I'd say suggest a 3-round affair, best of 2 wins. Spatchcock Chicken, Pizza, Steak (or Butts)
  • Just wanted to update you from two years ago, both of those treager owners are now very happy Big Green Egg owners.  They both conceded defeat and I can't get them to shut up about their egg.  They are both probably posters on this board now.  BGE wins again!
  • Easy, an overnight brisket cook. Make him get up every 2 hours to reload the hopper.
  • Anything that requires a direct cook or searing.  The traeger can only do indirect smoke heating and only up to a few hundred degrees, so they have a hard time duplicating sear marks and charred protein.  I've also found that most traeger owners aren't the best cooks and the traeger is kind of an idiot proof que when it comes to drying out meat.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • They have had my brisket, and pulled pork, and prime rib,  I won and 2years later they both bought a BGE, and both already built tables and I have had to walk them throught some cooks but they love it and rave about it.

• Sold my Traeger less than a year after getting my egg.  As noted here, pellet is good for intermediate length cooks, but IMO (and experience) it tends to dry stuff out on long cooks. I would lean toward calling it a convection smoker. Tried one brisket on it, turned it into charcoal. Also as mentioned here, it doesn't do well at searing. I have heard of some people using GrillGrates on them to sear, that may help. Either way, mine is long gone.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I looked at pellet smokers before I purchased my BGE back in May. They have lots of moving parts and electronics that will most likely wear out.  I have a friend that had to express order a part for his treager cooker that was late arriving; he was in a mess, he couldn't use the treager.  So wait till his teager breaks and ask him "Hows it go'n". OR see who can crank-up his grill up to 700+ degrees. That aught to do it :o)
  • Baked potatoes rubbed with olive oil and S&P. Cook them at 350 until internal temp is 215 with no foil. The smoke flavor from the egg brings baked taters to a whole other level.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    @cortguitarman 350 direct for the potatos?  About how long on average to reach 215?  (For timing with the rest of the meal)   Thanks
  • .About 40-50 min.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Costco had them last time I was there.  I don't "get it".  I'm sure it works well, as well as Wife's upscale convection oven.  Good for them and I wish them well.  Lump, chunks, chips and baby-sitting my BGE makes my day.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I have both and like them both. I have had a Traeger for nearly 10 years and an Egg for ~6 weeks. So far, I prefer the Egg but the are clearly different machines.

I would not do baked potatoes if you want to win. My Traeger makes consistently excellent potatoes that I could not beat on my egg.

Pizza is a pitched battle in favor of the egg. The Traeger does not get hot enough for pizza. For other baking at lower temps, the Traeger is too smokey and it overpowers the flavor.

Low and slow like ribs or pork shoulder goes to the egg. More moist and better bark. Need to mind the smoke.

Searing goes to the Egg. Maybe Tuna steaks or a ribeye. But the best steak I ever had was on my Traeger. Hard to overcook a good medium rare on the Traeger.

Cooking multiple things in one cook in a reasonable period of time goes to the Egg.

Cooking in a wok goes to the egg. I just did fired potatoes and onions in the wok, then plopped on the cooking grate and flames up two porterhouse steaks which I could never do on the Traeger.

I would not want a "neutral" taster. I would want to taste it myself and be my own judge. I don't care if I cooked it or not if it truly tastes good. Another thought would be to use the same meat and seasoning, i.e. a steak with the same rub so that the only variable is the cook.

• Tri tip with a reverse sear out of the Egg is hard to beat.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I was wondering why this was resurrected from 2 years ago, but then read that the OP was the one who did it. Great job OP, I expected the results you got.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."