Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you leave pulled pork on the Egg?

GaryBushey
GaryBushey Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question. I have a dinner party starting around 8pm. It is now about 3pm and my pork is at around 192. It is safe to leave it on the Egg until around 4 or 4:30 before wrapping and storing in a cooler? I am using a Digi Q so I can lower the temperature (currently 250 on the thermometer).

If not, how hard and fast is that 4 hour rule? :sick:

Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If the cooker itself is kept reasonably hot like 200 or so just for keeping the meat warm, you should be ok. You just don't want the exterior of the meat, in this case, to drop below 140. Besides, you can let the butt go to 205 with no problem anyway, so that will buy you more time. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • GaryBushey
    Thanks. If you are saying it is so, it must be true! :laugh:
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I will echo what Whiz just said. I have more than once been in you situation and always run mine up to 205 to buy myself time. That should put you in the window to hold until 8. I would actually not hessitate to pull now and serve at 8. Thats central time here 2:15. I've held them for 6 hours before. I have also went into a oven double wrapped in foil at 170 degrees for a couple hours and then to the cooler. In any case your fine.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Well, if I say it, I THINK it's true, lol! As always, use your best judgement.
    The Naked Whiz
  • GaryBushey
    funny thing is the meat never got about 192 on the Egg. Took it off around 4 pm, put it in the cooler, and pulled around 8pm. Came out perfect!