Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

online meet and greet ???

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Di,

Cool story about the wedding. I love shtuff like that.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'm Ron, and I keep it real in the ATL. :) I learned that at the Freaknik gathering. Trying it on for size.

Have been cooking BBQ for many years, but aside from smoking Q, grilling steaks, burgers, dogs, & an occassional scrambled egg I never cooked anything else until I joined this forum a few years ago. The abilities of many of the cooks here amazes me, and I am fortunate enough to know three of the best, Fidel, Vidalia1, & Dr Zaius. Sometimes they even throw me a bite. :) Others who have inspired me are Little Steven, Little Chef, Jlockhart, Rusty Rooster, Thirdeye, Bente, and others, probably including you. I pick up tips from alot of post that get little attention. I have made many friends here, some limited to online, others who I count among my best friends whom I see fairly often.
    I grew up near the original BGE store, and knew someday I would have one. But, went the offset path for many years...too long. I am the proud owner of three Eggs, L-M-S, but have never actually used the Medium.
  • 427sohc
    427sohc Posts: 21
    Hi all. My name is Chris and I am a 48 year old CNC Machinist from southeast Mass. I have only been egging since last July. I mainly do pizzas and lately a LOT of USDA prime ribeyes(yum!) with the rare occasion of a Wagyu ribeye(thanks to Savenor's market in Boston). I wish I had pics to post but I don't own a digital camera yet. I really like this forum.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    I'm Chris, and I got my Medium in I think 2004. I was intrigued a few years earlier, when I bought a fairly expensive gasser that lasted 3 years :-( Food Channel did a series of BBQ programs that got me focused on it and after researching and eventually finding this Forum, I had to have the Egg. Bought one for my Dad a year later so I could cook on it when I went to the Folks' place for Holidays :-) I got a Mini last year, which is a wonderful thing.
    Live near Branson, MO, and I hate that I will miss the Fest next month, but recently became a SCUBA fanatic, and I will be on a diving trip in Bonaire Antilles that weekend. Hope to make more fests in the future....
    Thanks for this thread, Julie, great idea!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Julie,BRILLIANT,as usual.Hello Eggheads,I'm Hoss.I am not chained down in a basement,one finger tappin at a puter, as Julie suggests' although,sometimes I need to be!I was a Weber(Charcoal/Kettle) FANATIC,til a dear friend gave me a LBGE.WOW!Difference in nite and day!The W's still got a place in my heart,hell,I learned on em.BUT the Egg is da BOMB,but it is second to third behind this Forum and the WONDERFUL folks on here.Met some,wanna meet ya all.My Baby Boy,21 and 6' 5" just went to Ft Benning for basic and the daughter told me the BannaHead she married has caused her to become an expectant Mommy! :whistle:;) All of a sudden ,I can tolerate him! :S Sorta! :unsure: I come here to escape REALITY!I'm in the Real Estate/Construction/Development business......I NEED to escape sometimes!!! ;) I love all ya'll! B)
  • Ripnem
    Can't wait to meet ya and see your digs'n'gig, man. ;)

I need to start having mo fun so the time fly mo fasta.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    OMG, I have had Salmon, even in Seattle, but when I can get (expensive!) flown in fresh Salmon here in Missouri, and cook it on the Egg with an Alder chunk and Dizzy Pig Raging River, it's the best. But nothing can compare to those Oysters you have there... :-) I have great memories of oysters on a grill on a beach....
  • Hoss
    Give me a DATE,MASTA! B) It's gonna be one for the RECORD BOOKS!!! :whistle: :laugh: B) :evil: Whack em n Stack em!!! :evil:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Hello. My name is Gary. I used to be GTIPROD. GTIPROD stands for GTI PRODUCTS. I sell Industrial Fasteners and Supplies. I live in Southern California, Canoga Park, which is in the San Fernando Valley. I have had my EGG almost a year but hadn't cooked on it until July as I made the table. From reading these posts I started remembering when I got interested in grill/barbequing. I made small barbeque in Metal Class in Junior High in Summer. I have make 2 55-gallon barrel barbeques as well. I have owned a Kingsford grill as well. When I got married I got a Fire Magic Monarch. I thought I was in heaven, opening the top. Then I have owned an Offset Smoker, which is rusting in my backyard. Two years ago I thought I got the barbeque I had wanted, the one with a crank that raises and lowers the grill. It wasn't cheap neither.(I could have gotten a Large EGG for the price) Then last year I got my XL EGG. That has changed everything. I enjoy cooking more. To light the lump charcoal and to wait for the right Dome Temp. My wife thinks I am nuts but that's me.

I enjoy going on the Forum to read, see the pictures and get ideas from the EGGers that have done it longer. I know I have asked some dumb questions in the past and try not to anymore. As for fun, I play guitar. I have been married for almost 10 year. I have 2 children, twins, a boy, and a girl, and they will turn 7 in July. I am also 53 years old.

I just with I had jumped on the EGG sooner but like they say, it's never too late.
  • Ripnem
    How bout a nice chunk a time around the 8th and 9th of Jan.?
  • Julie...Great idea!
    But now you've opened my can of worms! Are you ready?
    I'm Jerry, my closest friends call me JB, but I answer to most anything.
    I'm living the "Good Life" out in the country up in the Big Woods of Northern MN.
    I have held many different jobs over the years, but the mainstay has been teaching and coached swimming for 38 years before retiring from that two years ago. I am however, still employed as the Pool Operator and a Shift Engineer for a local School District and am a Red Cross volunteer teaching Life Guarding, Water Safety, CPR and First Aid
    I have been cooking since I was four (my mother has a picture of me in my PJs’, standing on a chair cooking eggs) and it is a passion of mine to play in the kitchen.
    My other main hobbies / interests are Community Theater, Nordic skiing, model
    railroading and gardening. I also spend “spare” time deer hunting, fishing and water flowing.
    I hate to mow the lawn, so my garden (which gets bigger as time passes) is my
    front yard!
    I make my own ale and wine, and do a lot of canning also.
    I became Mr. Potatohead back in about 1976 when a life long friends two youngest daughters started calling that...It stuck!
    Mrs. Potatohead (Toni) and I have been married for 28 years and we have a
    beautiful daughter (Raeanne) that will be graduating from High School in a few
    days.
    Rae has been the joy of joys for me (I've been a Mr. Mom) and we have spent a lot of time together and have done some pretty exciting things!
    She is extremely talented in music (voice, violin and saxophone) dance and theater. If her dreams come true, she will be a professional dancer shortly.
    I have had my Egg for just over three years (I think) and have enjoyed it 100%.....Perhaps slightly more!
    Pre-Egg: I had two Webber Kettles, but in looking back and now forward, I don't know how I ever got along with out an Egg! Guess I’m a late bloomer!
    No matter, I am now consumed with always thinking about what next to cook on the Egg!! And…If I’m not cooking something…I smoking cheese, fish or some jerky.
    Many of the people here on the forum, I consider my friends and the ones I
    have met (you know who you are) are wonderfully kind and caring folks.
    I really can't get out and about too much (limited funds) but I do look forward to
    meeting more of you at future fests, as I will try to make some of them my
    vacation destinations. NiEGGara Fest is on my slate!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    My name is Steve and I live in the Greater Seattle area. I have 18 years of fast food restaurant management experience. A lot of time in espresso including a stint at Starbucks. I have owned my own carpet cleaning and tile and grout cleaning business for the last 12 years.

I first became interested in an Egg about a month after I had upgraded form a Weber kettle to a Weber Gold Genesis all stainless. I was so excited about the Egg that I told everybody I came in contact with. I started reading the forum until I couldn't take reading about something I couldn't do. Three years later one of the people I had told about the Egg said he'd bought one and if I wanted it all I would have to do was come pick it up. "Oh," he said, "it has a table, too." It also had a plate setter and some BGE lump. I wonder if it was the original bag of lump.

Now cooking on the Egg and reading the forum to improve my cooking and make friends with like minded people has become my passion. The food is phenomenal. I did hamburgers for the first time tonight and ABT's for the second time. The burgers were outstanding. I added a pat of frozen garlic butter to them and served them with guacamole. I had ABT's left over and when a friend brought our son home I had them reheated in the oven and they were terrific. Think about it who pulls out appetizers out when there's no party? I have enjoyed cooking and the forum beyond my wildest imagination.
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Thanks! It was awesome. Minister poised as a party guest. About 1 hour after everyone arrived, we made the announcement that we would be getting married. We had about 85 people screaming and clapping.

It was romantic and special to us. We had people calling us for days saying it was the best "wedding" they had ever been to.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I remember that ya lived in Palm City but did not know that ya worked at the JM Center, yes a small world.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hey Julie, I'll bite...

My name is Greg and I'm 34. I live in northern Virginia, about 40 miles outside of DC, but wished I lived in the Carolina's (southerner by heart). My wife and I have been married for almost 10 years and have one beautiful four year old daughter (I tell my wife that two wrongs made a right :evil: ) and are expecting a new member to the family right at Thanksgiving :woohoo: ! Both sides of my family hail from Pittsburgh and I was even born there, but have never lived there. In my life I have been fortunate enough to live, work and play in countless cites across 15 different countries. I have been afforded the opportunity to do some really cool stuff in life, but at the same time, have seen some of the worst that life has to offer.

I'm in IT for a living, but when not at work, love spending time with my family, playing video games, watching movies, and buying gadgets!

I have known about the BGE for several years but wanted to try my hand at making my own smoker ala Alton Brown's flower pot smoker. I have used the Little Brown Egg as I called it for many years to do Boston Butts, brisket, and spatchcock chickens. I finally convince my wife a couple of months ago I was ready to graduate to a BGE and she let me buy one when Uncle Sam gave me back my hard earned money in April! So far the BGE has been one of the most fun things I have done in a long time. I really enjoy reading all the posts and especially seeing the cooks. I went to my first fest this year in Waldorf and had a blast. Everyone was/is very friendly and I have gotten some great advise in the short time I have been on the forum. I will say that I'm going to have to start taking pics with my nice camera vs. my cell phone after seeing some of the photography here.

If you are ever in the Washington Metro area, give me a shout. I would love to meet you and have a beer and some BBQ!

Oh, and the user name is not something dirty... I got it a long time ago in college when I used to golf a lot.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Hello All,

I'm Mike and I live in the northwest corner of Tennessee near the Mighty Mississippi River. I'm 57 and have been married for 33 years with 3 supposedly grown kids.

I've loved grilling and smoking meat for many years and have had all kinds of grills and smokers. In Feb. of 2008 we lost our home and everything but the clothes on our backs to a fire. Instead of rebuilding we purchased another home in May 2008, 2 months in a motel was enough. I had heard of the BGE but had never cooked on one. I decided that a BGE was going to be a 'house warming' gift from me to me. :) It is now 2 years later and we have 3 BGEs, XL, small, and a mini. I'm mostly a meat n' tators kind of cook but by reading the forum and seeing pics of fantastic meals I'm gaining on being able to cook a larger variety of meals on the BGEs. Hope to make it to a fest soon.

Thanks to all for the inspirations and advice that is shared here on the forum. Mike
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    WOW Mike. there are a couple of eggers on here that lost their homes to fire and can relate. I just can not imagine the loss and horror of it all. glad you were all safe and what a great gift to yourself!!
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Thanks Julie, yea it is for sure an experience I would not wish on anyone. It's now over 2 yrs later and I still catch myself asking my wife 'where is---', then 'oh yea' we don't have one and put on the list of things that still need to be replaced. And yes, the BGE has been one of the best purchases I've made. :) Mike
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Do you like to take long walks on the beach?
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    And you also started posting some good pics of your cooks.
  • maXim, my daughter would be SO jealous! She is a pony/horse fanatic!! Our house is full of horse toys, games, puzzles, DVD... When we ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, her response is always, "I would just like to be a pony". :) We have even decided to feed her interest by signing her up for a horse camp this summer, and a vacation to the horse track in Lexington, Ky. They are supposed to have a horse of every bread and two wonderful horse related museums.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Thank you, Mainegg. Good idea.

I am Ben and I am a Boilermaker (Chem-E, class of '02).
    I am 30.
    I am a husband of one and a father of one.
    I am a Chicagoan.
    I am trying to get over being a Cubs fan, but fail repeatedly (much like the Cubs).
    I am a model shipwright (or I was before my daughter was born).
    I am tired of living in a condo.
    I am going to make bacon soon.
    I am learning to love hockey.
    I am a hypocrite. I believe you can't tell me what to put on my hotdog (I WILL have ketchup, thankyouverymuch), but I believe that if it doesn't have meat, beans and a red sauce, you can't call it chili.
    I am addicted to chicken wings, and will make some tonight.
    I am starting a new job on Monday.
    I am gardening this summer, and am really excited about it.
    I fight dragons.
    I am a family man.
    I am a gumbo maker, a bread baker, a rib smoker, a spatchcock griller (raised direct), a stir-fryer.
    I am a choir member, and I am sad that I haven't played my saxophone in years.
    I am blessed.
    I am always interested in making something I've never made before.
    I am trying to become a better photographer.
    I am a big fan of typos that result in unintentional comedy.
    Oh yeah, and I am an egghead. Got my Large at the inaugural Eggwegofest (September '08).
    I am shopping for a Small.
    I am not running out of things to add, but I am guessing you're running out of interest.
    I am not going away.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    My name is Tim, and I am an egg-a-holic.

{hi tim}

its been several days since I last egged.

{that's a shame tim}

I live in ottawa and have a neurotic, diabetic poodle named "cheezwhiz"

{you're weird tim}
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Tim and I talk to myself too :pinch: I have a thought.. maybe if you changed her name to Suzy or FeeFee instead of cheesewiz.... :pinch: just a thought
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    I don't believe I ever actually introduced myself to this forum almost a year and a half ago

My name is Michael, I'm a CFO for general contractor that is licensed, qualified and registered in all 50 states. I'm married with a 8 year old daughter who seems to love the egg more than I do....through my egging trials and tribulations my wife has stuck by me and actually now loves all the food that comes off the egg. We have yet to attend an eggfest as work and other obligations have precluded us from doing so...we look forward to doing a fest in the coming year and are definitely doing OKC next spring. Most of our cooks are pretty basic as my daughter and wife have very bland tastes when it comes to food.....peace, Michael

PS: I'm a HUGE Oklahoma Sooner fan :P
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Fidel did I dream about your love for cigars & your love life in Cuba????? :laugh: :whistle:
  • Hoss
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Well, been in this world more than it seems, at least that's what I'm told, Very lucky to have friends literally comming out from under the stones. This is my first forum experience & I wouldn't change the precious people here for the world. First school experience outside México was in the US where I made some of my closest friends, then in the UK where I studied for 2 yrs., I'm sorry to say but "ït sucked" but then I had to get the title which I did. Love the outdoors, fishing, bit of hunting, swimming, certified scubadiver, & motorbike accident-prone :unsure: . Bad cook but most of my friends are worse.. :laugh: Oh & partying of course :woohoo: ...A wonderful wife, 5 children (one in heaven)
  • ...posted inna wrongspot. DOH!
  • I am a wordy, over-explaining, inquisitive, answer-seeking, intellectually restless (yet shallow), ever-reading, oft-drinking egg owner of 8 years or so.

I can rationalize spending 2500 dollars on a rare book, while my fifty year old garage door literally is falling apart.

I quit the corporate architecture world to spend time with my family and children. I started my own business, and now consult for the people I used to work for. I see them all much much less, and yet they pay me about the same as when i was there 60 hours a week. That is the only savvy business move i have ever made. Rather than capitalize on that and spin that model into a money machine, i have chosen to work less, and live more. I work hard, screw around hard, and knock off early.

I spend too much time on this forum. I months ago quit posting any cooks. Mine tend to be run of the mill, with one or two interesting cooks a year. not enough to keep up with the folks here. I have defaulted to blathering long winded answers, same answers over and over, to newbies. anyone here more than a year is sick of me and my answers.

I always think I'm right, but have been known to admit when I'm wrong. I apologize when I need to, which i think shows more ballz than sticking to an indefensible position out of fear of losing face.

I think most of you don't believe Rod when he says he's a trained assassin. All the better, frankly. The mocker is never taken less serious than when he is being most serious. Do not screw with him. I like to think that old boy would have my back if the sh!t hit the fan. But I have nothing to offer in return other than the small of my back and long wet kisses. Neither of which I am willing to give him.

I like to think I confuse people. I generally disappoint my liberal friends by not being as liberal as they, and by my poking holes when they float too high in their helium balloon lawnchairs. But i also disappoint my conservative friends, by not being as holy or rich or intelligent as some of them are. I believe that if you are surrounded by people who agree with you all the time, you aren't in the right place. It's too easy to join an exclusive group, and that division and bickering is the goal of those who, well, tend to run and benefit from those groups. I don't believe George Bush was a completely inept idiot whose every decision was flawed. and I think that then lends creedence to the idea that it's not possible that everything Obama does is wrong. I think anyone who believes either position may be dismissed.

I usually can see much of both sides of an issue, or try to, and so I am given to summarily dismissing anyone whose opinion is fixed, rigid, and fringe. I believe that it's logical to require people to take a test to get a gun, just like a frigging car. Yet I'm glad i already own guns, and that they aren't registered, and that i took instruction and testing re: their use. and although I'm peaceable, I do not exactly want to register them either. exhibiting paradox, to me, is a sign that you are a thinker. i don't have answers for the big things. i can answer about using galvanized bolts in the egg, maybe.

I believe that if you can't explain to me the opposition's position, and where they might be right, and where you might be wrong, I have no interest in "debating" you. I'm also a horrible debater. I also used to think i was logical, until talking with Fidel. I have a logical approach to things, but now understand that there is a huge difference between that and the systematic application of true logic. I am given to introducing logical fallacies.

I would be happy if those who i irritate would still begrudgingly admit that i had something to offer. despite p!ssing off probably everyone at some point, i think, i have also been enthusiastic about their triumphs here, and helpful to them at some point, as well. I take things personally, and yet never mean things personally.

I read James Joyce, yet i do not believe it is as holy as the Joyceans say, nor as stupid and trumped up as the naysayers. I think Ulysses covers everything. but I have stumbled over the Wake.

I rarely use capitals here, because it's a frigging 'Q forum, and because i type very fast, two-fingered, with my head down. I have spellcheck, and use it, but believe words are a form of Jazz, and that misspellings are correct when done willfully and well. My professional correspondence is capitalized simply because my email program capitalizes. the firefox spellcheck (used here) does not.

I was Big Green Dave, with Fidel. and felt bad (momentarily) when denying it to RRP and LittleSteven. I got over it.