Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Tacos First Cook?

Options
Jolly Bill Barker
Jolly Bill Barker Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I am going to try to cook fish for the first time.

We love fish tacos and I thought I would cook some talapia on the egg for the feast.

I know nothing about cooking with the egg for fish so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the basic set up of the standard fire ring and the plate setter with the porcelain grate.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Get something to go over the cooking grid, so the fish doesnt fall through. Just season it up and toss it on the grid. It wont take long.....at all.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    since talapia fillets are pretty thin, one thing i like to do is take three or four lemons, thin slice them and lay the lemon slices all over the grid . . ..then put the fish fillets on top of the lemon slices ....that way you don't have to worry about them either sticking to the grid or falling through ....you don't get any grill marks on your fish, but they stay nice and moist, pick up some nice lemon infusion, and you don't have to worry about them burning either. ..the lemon slices you just pitch when you are done as they take the brunt of the flames/burning....i do this for all kinds of fish fillets from salmon to red snapper to talapia, etc. ...works great...

DSCN0324.jpg
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    mad max, that is a great idea, i had being putting down HD foil, this looks a lot easier and BETTER!!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yep, i don't remember where i learned this one ...i can't take credit for it though, someone else taught it to me years ago .. .works great ...flipping can be tricky, but its not too hard....
  • grillandbrew
    Options
    We cooked up some Tilapia and made Fish Tacos for the Carolina Eggfest on Saturday - Super Easy

I typically cook the fish direct and don't worry so much about the temp because they cook so quick anyway. Saturday we cooked right on the grid but I normally use a stainless steel grill topper just in case the fish breaks up (Tilapia filets are very thin) either way I typically run a paper towel with a little EVOO over the surface then throw on the fish sprinkle with your seasonings (I just use a little of my BBQ rub) cook about 1-2 min on each side seasoning both sides - the fish will get white and flaky when done.

I normally cook all the fish then chop it up in small pieces.

For the tortillas - just heat the tortillas on the grill for 15-20 seconds per side. Don’t get them crispy just warm.

We make up a sauce that is 1 cup Mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, and a tablespoon or so of my BBQ rub - normally this is made ahead and sets for an hour or so in the fridge.

We also typically make up a black bean Pico De Gallo ahead of time to serve on the tacos.

To serve just spread some sauce on the warm tortilla, put some fish in the middle, a spoon full of Pico De Gallo, and little bit of shredded cheese, and fold it over.

My kids go crazy over these things.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    what is your dome temp, 350??? direct cook right?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    more like 425 direct. ...so the lemons are really protecting the fish from the high heat...the lemons end up pretty roached at the end of the cook ....but protect the fish very nicely ...
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Glad to see you're getting back on the horse. A lot of the advice you got yesterday was right on. Start simple, ask questions, and don't be too hard on yourself. There is a learning curve, but you will get it down.

Listen to Max...he's a pro. Sometimes when I do fish, I'll use those throw away aluminum wire grids. That gives me some piece of mind that I can turn the fish without seeing it disappear through the grid and into the lump. Let us know how they turn out.

Mike
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Wow, the lemon trick sounds interesting - can't wait to try it. Also, in case he doesn't chime in, Thirdeye has a great recipe on his site, where you cook on aluminum foil with a Panko crust. The crunch is really fantastic.

Good luck and click below if you are interested.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/01/fish-tacos.html
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We love fish tacos. Either corn or flour tortillas are okay with me. Fried, grilled or griddled fish is also okay although I like mine fried better.

Here's some we did on the gas grill using the Griddle Q. I also have a Griddle Q for the large Egg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFq2dpqfaU

Enjoy your fish tacos.

Spring "Bet You Can't Eat Just One" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05858JPGa.jpg

The cooking method I use was inspired by Egghead The Naked Whiz. My toppings and flavors are a cross between a Rubio's fish taco, and south Texas fish tacos. Here is a link to my write-up on them.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Lawn Ranger wrote:
    Glad to see you're getting back on the horse. A lot of the advice you got yesterday was right on. Start simple, ask questions, and don't be too hard on yourself. There is a learning curve, but you will get it down.

Listen to Max...he's a pro. Sometimes when I do fish, I'll use those throw away aluminum wire grids. That gives me some piece of mind that I can turn the fish without seeing it disappear through the grid and into the lump. Let us know how they turn out.

Mike

Thanks. My dome reading was off by 105 degrees. Sure am glad they told me to calibrate my thermometer.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Max thanx for the lemon idea. I am assuming that limes will work just fine too. I always have some of those around. Gin and Tonics you know keep you young.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    DSC05858JPGa.jpg

The cooking method I use was inspired by Egghead The Naked Whiz. My toppings and flavors are a cross between a Rubio's fish taco, and south Texas fish tacos. Here is a link to my write-up on them.

Man I sure don't plate and present that nicely. All my plates are paper. I will read the write up for sure.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    So if I have this right.

Lump up to top of fire bowl. Started in the middle. Flat coals no mounding or two level fire.

No plate setter Close dome

Bring up to 425

lay citrus slices on grid and then my seasoned fish on top of that, close dome

stand there and watch them... flip... watch them... poke them and if they flake take them off.

Is that about right?
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Jolly Bill, this was one of my first cooks and I tried that same recipe with the lemon slices and it turned out fantastic. The lemons kept the fish from falling through the grate and it also kept it from getting
    burnt. You'll love it.
    Mark
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    No need to flip
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i guess so. ...never done limes so i can't attest to them .. .
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have used limes but, here I have lemons. Here I have the egg coming to temp and my grill is ready to go on.

You may think i'm crazy but during this cook the limes/lemons get scortched but, I eat them rind and all! yum yum.

Most of all enjoy your cook and your family. Tim :)

000_1700.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Great looking recipe, thirdeye! I'll have to give that a try.

When I've made fish tacos before with baked fish I like to make a sauce with a little Valentina hot sauce, mayo, and lime juice.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    So here is how the cook went.

Got two pieces of fish from my favorite fish monger here in Geneva.

Started the egg and went inside while it got going.

Made a rub out of garlic salt, cumin, and oregano. Oiled the fillets up with some extra light olive oil and rubbed in the above.

I had the plate setter in with a drip pan. After about 35 min. dome was at 400.

I put slices of lime on the grid and then the fish on top. The egg settled in right a 440 which was a little hotter then I wanted but that is why I used the plate setter for a little protection.

After 20 min I poked the fish and it wasn't quite done yet so I gave it five more minuets. Poked it again and it was perfect. Flaked to two thirds deep.

Pulled it off and chopped it up while she was hot.

Served it with diced tomato, onion, cilantro, shredded red cabbage, and red sauce all in a warm flour soft taco shell.

They turned out great! They were super moist and done to perfection. The fire flavor took me right back to the beach on Rocky Point Mexico.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. This cook was a total success.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Alright Bill good to hear. ;) :P