Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not liking my egg at all

Options
Jolly Bill Barker
Jolly Bill Barker Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I am new here and I am looking for a lot of help.

I have had my egg for about a month and so far I have been successful with three meals. All the rest have been complete disasters.

I tried to follow the steak recipe in the book that comes with the egg and I ended up with three burnt beyond recognition steaks and half the gasket was gone.

Then I tried hamburgers and they were burned.

Finally I tried to make a pizza at 500 degrees and the thing was chard to inedible stature. Plus now I have no gasket and am having to replace it. It was completely cracked and smoke was leaking out the back.

So... so far I have wasted three whole complete meals and have had to spend the time and money to replace my gasket. My wife is thinking I can't cook and my daughter has been eating sandwiches.

I really need you guys and gals to help me. I don't know what to do but I am about ready to try and return it and go back to using my gas grill.

Comments

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Wow man, I'm getting my new XL BGE on Friday so I can't give you any egg advice on cooking. i will say that I've made some pretty great meals on my little Weber charcoal kettle. Maybe its just the learning curve with using charcoal versus gas grills.

Can you get to an eggfest nearby to pick up some pointers?
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    keep in mind that times given are at best a guide.

never, ever, ever, simply cook a steak or hamburger by timing it.

there are way too many variables. you must always use the times as a rough guide, and cook either to internal temperature, or to touch (or some other consistent method).

a grill cannot overcook a steak. not trying to be a peeve about it, it's just that frankly you cooked them too long.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Ouch. Sounds rough.

First, calibrate your dome thermometer. Boil water, put the probe-end of the thermometer into the water and see what it reads. Use the nut on the back of the dial to adjust. If your thermometer is off, you could have been cooking at 600, when you thought it was 500.

Second, don't cook by time. Cook by doneness. If your burgers and steak were burnt, you just overcooked them. That's oversimplifying things, but it's a start.

Third, don't go to the trouble to replace your gasket yet. They're optional anyway, and if you don't get your temperature management skills down, you'll just burn your replacement anyway. Mine started charring with my first cook (pizza) and is now a crispy, black, useless strip...but my egg still cooks just fine.

Fourth, how about giving us a little detail about each of your cooks. What temps were you cooking at? About how long? How thick were your steaks? Tell us about how you did your pizza...direct on the grill? On top of the plate setter? Did you use a pizza stone with the plate setter? Did you raise the pizza stone up off the plate setter? What kind of pizza? Frozen? How long did you cook the pizza? Did it burn on just the crust, or was it the toppings too?

You'll get the hang of this, and the tough times will be a distant memory. We're here to help.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Keep at it! You'll get it...don't go back to the gas grill..
    Sounds like you need to get a handle on temperature...
    Others will chime in, I know, but my suggestion is to go through some of the basic's already posted regarding control of temperature, using a thermometer, and checking and calibrating the OEM thermometer.
    There's an inordinate amount of truly great info on in this forum.

Here's a link of to some previously posted tips and helpful hints, I hope it helps:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746787&catid=1
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Sounds a little like my first couple of tries. I simply did not believe the heat that was there. The egg holds temp all around the food. A completely wonderful thing but unless you know and believe it, burnt toast.

Steaks as an example. On my Weber it was 4 minutes a side. Tried that on the Egg and waaayyyyy overdone. Now I am around 2 - 3 minutes per side. Hamburgers the same way.

As for your pizza, I can't tell if you used the platesetter AND pizza stone but that is important for thermal mass.

Now for your gasket. I just replaced mine. If you got your Egg from an authorized dealer, the gasket should be under warranty. Mine was. I've used their replacement gasket. It is made of NOMEX and should be tougher than the original. There are plenty of discussions here on the forum about gaskets. It is easy to replace. Took me a couple of hours and I'll bet mine was burned on alot more than yours.

So... Don't even think about giving up. It is the best outdoor cooker on the planet. And that doesn't even begin to describe the Egg community found on this forum and others.

Watch your heat and take things off!!!!

Slow cooking is even better!
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Give it more time. Believe me it will get much better. I think I posted on here that I'm selling my egg when I first started. Nothing worked out and now it's great. I'm no eggspert at all but the hardest part believe me is regulating and maintaining the temp. Read on here and listen to the eggsperts here they will walk you through the cooks one by one if need be. The biggest thing is to be very patient and do not rush things at all. One you have learned to regulate the temp it's sooo much easier. Post your cooks so they can help you ahead of time before it's too late. :) Good luck

Mark
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Do what Boilermaker Ben said and that will get you pointed in the right direction.

If there's an Eggfest anywhere close to where you live, you and your family should attend. You will learn more in one day there than you can learn in a year at home. Plus, you will get to meet some of your fellow Eggheads, make some serious friends and show your family that the Egg does too make good food.

Just don't return it...

Spring "Learning Your Egg Is Like Getting To Know A New Friend" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    As others have said, you need to get your temperature control down.

Here is a link by Grandpas Grub, showing typical vent settings for certain temperatures. At first, I was surprised how little an opening is needed for desired temps.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=670088&catid=1

Also, stabilize the temp before adding your food. That may take 30 minutes to an hour. Never "chase" the temperatures.

Good luck. Keep at it. You'll get it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) CALIBRATE THE DOME THERMOMETER using boiling water, just the tip goes in the water. Make the correction to the boiling point to take into account your elevation

On the Main Menu, under Cookbook, click Boiling Point Calculator.

Here's a shortcut: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=88

2) USE AN INSTANT READ THERMOMETER and cook to temperature, not time.

3) GRID HEIGHT: There are accessories that facilitate varying the grid height. You can also use firebrick to raise the standard grid. I use a 2" Fire-Ring IN ADDITION TO the standard 4". I now RARELY burn anything.

4) CHARCOAL LEVEL. Use lump charcoal only. I find the BGE brand to be consistently "well behaved" (no sparks). I fill the firebox up to the bottom of the fire ring (or to just a little higher). With the standard fire ring this puts about 4" between your fire and food. I use the 2" fire ring to get me to 6" between fire and food.

5) STABALIZE THE EGG TEMPERATURE for about 20 to 30 minutes before cooking, and make sure the coals are evenly distributed.

6) COOK WITH THE LID SHUT, even when grilling. I open the Egg only to turn the food, this prevents flare-ups, uses the radiant heat from the dome to cook as well, and helps retain moisture.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    just like BoilerMaker Ben, stated calibrate the thermometer if you havent already. Dont cook for time, if someone says it took 5 min per side for steaks or burgers, we dont know how think they were, what temp they were cooking at, was the meat at room temp before it went on, did they put it on when the egg was heating up or when it was heated! To many variables there. Just like on your old gasser, you probably burnt a few things and adjusted from there. trying doing your burgers again, but cook at 400 - 500 rather than 500+. but keep an eye on them, when i do mine, i usually keep a close eye on them for the first 2 turns, usually i do 3min a side, but if i see the temp spike i flip them righ away, and turn down the vents cuz they are going to get done a lot faster. you just need to get a hold of how the temp control works and how to hold a temp and when to increase the temp if it gets to low. by the sounds of it you need to learn how to get a hold of the high temp, remember the best way to control the temp is on the way up not the way down, if your desired temp is 400, dont let the grill get to 500 or 600 degrees, keep an eye on it and when it is reaching 350 -375 you will know to start closing your vents, play around with it without food. My grill will hold 350 with the bottom vent open at about 2in and the top daisy wheel open and the bottom part of the daisy wheel open 1/2 to an 1'. you will get the hang of it. if you are having troubles with heat cook at lower temps first. any other questions ask away! B)B)
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    If you're selling, I'll buy your egg! JUST KIDDING. :) Stick with it, friend. I am somewhat new to this thing, and it gets better - way better.

I had trouble at first, but, now, I'm just another expert on this forum!

Dollars to doughnuts that your dome thermometer is off.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Land sakes, Jolly Bill, relax. You have stumbled onto and now have at your finger tips the most powerful resource/eggcessary you could ever want--this forum. Welcome to the family. Pose any and all questions one at a time or in bunches and they will be answered. We are here to help you. Have a cold beverage, beer or iced tea and chill. If you remain teachable there are teachers aplenty here.

Start with temperature and research your cook. Decide what you are going to cook, many here will suggest easy cooks and how to do them. Do them as suggested and report anything that didn't turn out as expected or what a success it was because the Egg did it for you, a common theme. Yes, there is a learning curve but this forum exists to help shorten it.

Explain in detail as you learn what eggcessories you used, what type of cook, indirect, direct, raised, at what temp(dome) to what temp(internal, the temp of the meat)for how long. That gives us an idea where the cook failed if it does.

Glad you made it here
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You may gain some insight from my website linked below...you have gotten plenty of good info already...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ditch the watch and get a thermapen instant read thermometer, it will speed your progress faster than anything. heres a good temp chart that will teach you about carryover temps and when to pull the meat off the grill, use it and take notes as to your preferences for meat doneness.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm

those that come from cooking on gassers need to relearn a few things, meat thickness is one , a 1 inch steak or under doesnt work well with most of the methods you will see here, practice on 1.5 inch thick steaks or thicker, dont time the cook, watch how its searing and when it looks right stop searing. the trex method for steaks is my favorite, no rushing, you sear it, rest it on a plate while you drop temps, roast it. get or make a raised grid, cooking higher up in the dome is easier for alot of cooks. start posting cooks with pics and state what you like or dislike about the cook, you will get alot of responses to how to fix something that you didnt like, could be simple things like the steak tasted bitter and it was bitter because maybe you peppered it before searing, alot here will salt a steak, sear it, add pepper or rub while it rests, then finish with a softer roasting temp. seems that those coming from the world of gas just habe a slightly longer learning curve, but its worth it in the end to stick with the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    If you want to, let us know what part of the world you are in. I'll bet if anyone on this forum is close, they would be willing to get together with you and walk you through the process. ;)
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Hi, my name is Hungry in Lilburn and I the manager of the Big Green Egg Return Center. Please be aware that we are only allowed to pay $300 for a Large BGE when it is returned. Please contact me offline and I will be happy to make the arrangments.

Just Kidding! Go back and read my posts and you will see that I burned up steak, chicken, ribs ($25 worth!) and my gasget when I first got my BGE. Then when I finally thought I had it all down I switched lump and ended up with petroleum based tasting food! Yuck! Then everything I started cooking tasted great but looked like I cooked it with a rubber tire. Black as smut. I too became very disillusioned. Then I went back and started doing some simple cooks. Hamburgers raised grid at 400 degrees. Pizza with platesetter and stone on feet at 400. Steaks at 400. Pulled pork at 325 indirect (my new handle is TuboButt). Once I slowed down and figured out what I was doing I begin to really enjoy my BGE. Now the wife doesn't want fast food anymore and she compares everything we eat out when we travel to how well it tastes as compared to the BGE.

Here is a simple recipe for a great bone in prime rib, this will make you a hero with your entire family:
    preheat BGE to 400 degrees controlled for at least 30 min. Platesetter in with feet up, grid on top of legs. Rub prime rib roast with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. Put on rack and put rack in drip pan (I bought my rack and drip pan at the BGE Corp store, my wife would not let me put her $100 rack and Capahlon pan in the BGE, now she would let me use a silver pan if we had one!). Put the pan in BGE. Cook until internal temp of 140 for rare, 150 for medium and 160 for dried out and nasty, which is the way my wife likes it. Take it out, let it rest for at least 20 minutes, then carve and serve. You will be amazed at how good it is!!!

Potatos: poke holes in skin, rub with EVOO and then cover in Kosher Salt, Set on grid, cook until internal is 210. Serve with real butter and salt. Yummy!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome to the forum now keep coming back. Tim
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    I don't know how to write this with out sounding combative. I really don't wish to be so keep this in mind. I am not challenging you I am just challenging my problems that I am having.

Do you call time cooking trying to sear your steaks at first? I put the steak on and closed the lid for two minuets timed. I opened the lid and they were ruined. I had the grill at 600 and tried to follow the BGE book and they were ruined right out of the gate.

I will be the first one to admit that I cooked them to long (obviously) but I think that is over simplifying things a bit. Are you telling me that I can cook a 1.5inch thick porterhouse in a total of 1 min with a sear and med temp in the middle at 600 degrees.

Thanks for your help. :)
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    sorry about the combative sound to it. wasn't trying to be. just trying to say that the times will bite you in the backside.

you'll get a ton of help here. too much, in fact :)

i haven't read all the posts, but someone will point you to a better steak method. we cook them about 10 different ways here....

we used to say the first thing you do is start your egg with the cookbook, but it is much better.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    What you just said is a do able cook for a steak but I wonder how much lump you had in your fire box? Was it full up to the top of the fire ring? Tim

In this pic my lump is half way up the fire ring.

000_1220.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jolly Bill Barker,

You seem to be jumping right into high temp cooks. You can do a perfectly good steak at 400* or lower. Same is true of pizza. The higher temps can be a bit of a gamble if you are new to the egg. I would calibrate the thermometer as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    JBB, use the search forum function to do a little or a lot of reading. Trex and hot tub will give you two of the many steak techniques. If you spend some time reading old forum threads you will learn more than just what you are researching. For a quicker answer post a new topic. Members will answer questions that have been asked a "million" times already, so ask away. Maybe a new member who just learned an old technique will share.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome. We have all been there to one degree or another and you have your best resource right here at your finger tips in the forum. I would get the thermapen instant read thermometer as soon as you can. that and your pizza stone and a plate setter or an adj rig will let you do about any set up and temp. It sounds like you have had a few good cooks so you know what it can do a little :) a lot of us on here have multiple eggs and just love them. as you get more comfortable with it you will see. it is like getting in to the shower and just knowing where to set the nob for your water temp.... after the first couple of times you do it with out thinking. :)
    but mainly read up on here do searches and ask questions. you will get tons of answers. find what works for you. our oven hardly gets used and the stove top very little too LOL it is eggs for everything. I do everything from breads to cakes, pies and cookies to roasts and beans about anything. and it is all easy once you get the hang of it.
  • APDHARLEY
    APDHARLEY Posts: 48
    Options
    First Jolly Bill welcome to the egghead forum and the wonderful world of the BGE! B) I have been an egghead for a little more than a year and I learn something new everyday on this forum. We have all had trials and tribulations with our eggs at one time or another.
    I posted something this morning because I had a problem with a cook yesterday so it is a contant learning eggperience. :laugh: One of the things that I have found to be most helpful is learning from this forum. It is a valuable tool.
    One of the most useful eggccessory to me is the plate setter. A neccessary tool to cook indiirectly. The majorty of the things I cook on the egg are with indirect heat. The only thing I cook directly are steaks and burgers. Like everyone has already said everyone has their on method of cooking.
    For example my steaks are seared at 650 degrees for 90 seconds on both side then off the grill. I like my steaks rare. Did I mention that they are usually 1 1/2-2 inches thick. An important factor. For those who like theirs done more I close all of the vents and leave them on then check them every minute or so. The longer they stay in there the more done they are. BTW did a whole turkey yesterday for a family gathering and all I heard is that they have never tasted such good turkey. Now I am the official turkey egger for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    So hang in there buddy and it will all come together and you will be serving some of the best food your family has ever eaten. ;)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    dont read the book, put it inside your gasser.
  • Spray97
    Spray97 Posts: 12
    Options
    I do my 1.5 steaks using the adjustable rig and spider 13 inch cast iron grate on spider legs up just above the lump. Half grate on top of the adj. Rig. Dome temp around 400 to 500 were ever it settles. Sear for. 60 to 90 second no longer on the cast iron then move to the half grate and cook to temp.
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    One thing you may want to consider is limiting your menu a little at first. Just pick out one or maybe 2 things you really like and work with those in the beginning. I would suggest hamburgers and maybe some chicken breast only because of the lower cost so if you mess it up no biggy. Once you get a feel for those, move on to something else.

Keep at it, everyone here has burnt up something at some point I betcha.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I forgot...

4) CHARCOAL LEVEL. Use lump charcoal only. I find the BGE brand to be consistently "well behaved" (no sparks). I fill the firebox up to the bottom of the fire ring (or to just a little higher). With the standard fire ring this puts about 4" between your fire and food. I use the 2" fire ring to get me to 6" between fire and food.

... I'm no EGGxpert, but this works for me. Still have not yet mastered baby back ribs, but I'm getting there.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Hi, and welcome.

I'm not going to repeat the good advice others have given already. One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that one of the best early cooks is a (spatchcocked or otherwise) chicken. Poultry always comes out especially good in the Egg. I'd suggest searching the forum, the recipe section, or some of the members' web pages for some chicken recipes. You won't be disappointed.

And let us know what part of the country you are in. Someone may be able to help you out.

-John
  • EzziSmoker
    EzziSmoker Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but read these forums before you go any further! I owned a $1300.00 Vermont Castings "top 'o the line" BBQ before I bought my BGE. I was never REALLY happy with the results. I started to do some research on the web and discovered the "EGG". I started off slow!, low temp cooks, read the forums and worked up from there. After a few months I started to use the egg for everything. I know it's more hassle than a "switch on" but I stuck with it, last month I gave the gasser to my next-door neighbor, he's happy and I'm MORE than happy with the BGE. I'll never go back to gas. Say what you will, once you learn to use it you'll be addicted for life. As a bonus, there are very few parts to wear out and the ones that do are mostly guaranteed for life..

Keep the faiith...