Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Rib Challenge and BGE

Options
Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a huge thank you to big green egg, Jodi and Bobby. I was able to compete this past weekend at the Southern Rib Challenge in conjunction with the Bassmaster Elite tournament at Lake Guntersville. It was a great event that finished with the Saturday weigh-in and rib cookoff. The cookoff is put on with the proceeds to benefit troop cooks that are organized by Holy Smokes of Albertville, AL. Lynn Entrekin and her husband do an outstanding job for a great cause.

The set-up with a local dealer next to us promoting the BGE
019.jpg

Ribs were being cooked on 2 Larges and 1 XL. Here is a shot from one of the larges

020-1.jpg

The awards from the ESPN center after the weigh-in
026.jpg

Me and J. Todd Tucker after the awards
028.jpg

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    NICE!! can't beat ribs and fishin!! :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Man, I bet you had a great time with that!! Very cool!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    It was a blast and I learned quite a bit. The guys who work the service trailers are great guys that are also eggheads. They cooked up sausage biscuits for breakfast and egg every week with eggs that travel with them
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice!! You'll have to share your secrets... B)
    What a life those guys got!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    It was right on Lake Guntersville. They set a Bassmaster record last year with a 4 day cumulative weight of over 100 pounds of fish.

I can tell you it was very windy during Friday night. A few canopies took flight if they were not tied down well.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Nice job Gene. As a former professional fisherman I can tell you that people have NO idea the amount of effort and talent that goes into those events. And the cause couldn't be better. Thanks.
    Bill in St Louis
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Gene,

How did you do in the rib contest???
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    They cut from 100 to the top 43 on Friday and to the top 12 on Saturday. Man those waters were choppy. I bet the trolling motors got quite the workout.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I don't know. They announced the top 5 and did not have full results. I expect them to be posted this week on their webpage. It was non-sanctioned, no certified judges and I am not sure what training they got before the the judging started. I know thae same set of judges sampled and scored all of the entries.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. Are you planning on doing the competition thing more often now that you got a taste this past weekend?
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    My goal is to do one full KCBS event this year.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    I really like the Lake Guntersville area, I live in Gadsden, not to far from Guntersville. Great State Park there too.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    We were right on the beach area of the park. The weather was beautiful minus the 25-30 mph wind. The funny thing was they double booked the event. There was a wedding taking place during the weigh-in. It was a bit loud for them.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I was pleased. The team scored 2nd in sauce, 9th in anglers choice and 12th in the main rib competition.