Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carolina EggFest 2010

Eggmoramus
Eggmoramus Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to offer my most sincere apologies to those that I offended (everyone it seems) with my uncalled for remarks regarding the Carolina EggFest. It was not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings nor to criticize anyone's performance. My comments were obviously out of line and for this I am sorry. I know how hard it is to travel, buy and prepare good food. Again, I apologize to all of the cooks and to the folks who hosted the event.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I appreciate your coming back and posting again. I'm sure the cooks and Josh do too.

It sounded like from your first post you might have been expecting a fine restaurant meal for the money that the organizer charged. But Eggfests aren't about that. They are about having fun. Yeah, the organizer sells some Eggs. Bottom line is the organizer is doing it to help his business. The rest of us are there for the fun, friendship and the food. The food usually spans the gamut from beginners to experts. At Carolina, I suppose we could criticize the cook who whipped out the Pillsbury refrigerator chocolate chip cookies, but then when you saw the look on the kids faces and how happy they were to carry the tray around and serve everyone, well, they were a great choice too. I was at one Eggfest where a fellow made Pillsbury refrigerator biscuits. Ok, not the best, but heck this is Eggfest! Everyone does their best.

Now I have to agree that some Eggfests charge $40 or more for a Friday night meet 'n greet where they have cooks preparing food that is advertised to be of high quality. If they were to serve up lousy food, that would be bummer worthy of some criticism since they are specifically telling you to expect a great meal. But the Eggfest is about letting everyone cook who wants to and having a good time.

Anyway, off the soapbox. Again, thanks for coming back to post an apology. I hope to see you at another 'Fest somewhere.

Doug
    The Naked Whiz
  • Capt. Rich
    Capt. Rich Posts: 153
    10-4 accepted. Have a blessed day
  • Thanks for the apology - as others have said I don't think everything was perfect (I wish Josh would have turned off the wind :) ) but overall I think it was fine for a 1st time fest. My guys from the Grill and Brew club tried to make sure we had enough food coming off the grill throughout the day that everyone had plenty and I was happy with what we prepared. I personally think of the cooking as more of an excuse to get together with other folks who love to grill as much as I do and I think this fest definitely provided that. Anyway don’t beat yourself up over the comments we have all posted something that looking back on later we wish we would have hit cancel instead of submit, and sometimes it is just best to say sorry sincerely and drop it. Thanks again.
  • The cookies were EggieG's way of getting his two little girls involved in the event. The girls even put some of the cookies on the Pizza Stone. And it certainly brought smiles to their faces. Some pictures that have been posted by TNW and others depicted that.

I do accept rocrow's apology.

Grillin Bill
  • I wish I had met you. I grew up in Morganton. Maybe next time. I was the one doing the Paella. Sounds like you folks had a great time as we did.

Grillin Bill
  • I wish I would have had more time to get around but we had so many cool things to cook that it kept me busy. The guys did go get me a sample of the Paella and it was delicious, the guys were talking on the way home that it would make a great meal for a club meeting. Maybe you could come spend an evening with us one month and help us cook some up. Everyone that comes seems to love it - there is nothing like cooking for a bunch of folks that really appreciate it and are interested in how you do it. Morganton is a great town they have done such good job with the downtown area in the last several years. Where are you living now?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Precisely. Everybody cooks to their level of expertise and they all do it to be a part of the fun. Like I told one of the cooks, it isn't a competition, it's just to have fun and meet people, etc.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Dude, I've always said paella is a great group dish. If you read up on it (I just so happen, cough, cough, have a web page on paella) and read about how to make it, the origins of it, why you do what you do, it makes a great conversation while you are cooking it and everyone is standing around drinking beers and watching you. You can make some gazpacho, serve sangria, make a few tapas, and maybe finish up with a flan for dessert, and you have a wonderful Spanish meal. And someone on the forum recently came across some avocado wood, which could be used to make a more authentic fire. Wow! I'm hungry! Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Ya know I helped put the big tent up, helped take the big tent down. I spent about $500 on stuff (including beer) Drove from Gainesville Ga (wife drove) after a colonosocpy Friday. Cooked some really good stuff, gave out some good advise, had a blast with my friends, met new friends. Went back to my friends and cooked for them Saturday night. Josh even had to drive to pick up the rest of the tent Friday night (2 hrs) we forgot. I found a way to have a great time. But that's how I live my life.
  • I meet up with my son and several friends. We had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed the food and fellowship. Thanks again to everyone who participated.

A special thanks to the girls cooking the cookies
    DSC_2724a.jpg