Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Beef loin tenderloin filet mignon

Options
Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This Sunday I am making mothers day lunch for my family. I just got back from Costco and bought a 7.5 lb untrimmed beef loin tenderloin. Does anybody have any suggestions for dome temp, final internal temp, rubs or marinades (not sure if this cut of meat needs one), should I sear it, etc...? What about suggestions for appetizers?

BTW.... I should also mention I just bought an adjustable rig / extender combo with ceramic stones from CeramicGrillStore.com.

Many Thanks,
Matt

PS... Pics would be great also! :lol:

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i would cook it like a pork tenderlion but not as long, i have done them three ways, i have seared them, then carefully put the plate setter in for an indirect cook,(dont recommend unless you really want the risk of getting burnt) and have cooked direct at about 400, also did an indirect cook as well, they all turned out great, so it really doesnt matter how to cook it up. just dont get the temp to high and burn the outside! you could also cut them into fillet sizes and cook as well!!! B) oh my vote is no rub, this cut has great taste with out the rub
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Matt- That was a loaded post! :blink: Are you planning on cooking the tenderloin whole, or cutting into filets? What is your desired done-ness liking, med rare?
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    Great Questions... I was planning on cutting it in half because some of us like it medium and others medium-well (I think this way cooks the flavor out of the meat).
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    So what temp do you pull it at? I usually pull a brisket at 195 internal, but this is a finer cut of meat.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Try this thread to see if you can use any of the info.

Good Luck,
    Bordello

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=820751&catid=1
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    OK, I keep reading that this cut of meat is not very flavorful. I am thinking about adding carrots, celery, onions and garlic to the drip pan for extra flavor. What do you guys thin?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Waste of time and ingredients in my opinion. Filet is definately not my favorite, but it can still be very flavorful if cooked properly. Might consider wrapping in bacon....or providing a nice gravy/sauce on the side (THERE you can use the carrots, celery, onion, etc....) IMO, Drip pans and the Egg are rather repetitive. The Egg keeps the food moist. I typically use a drip pan only to keep my platesetter clean. There are typically so few 'drippings' while cooking (its usually just FAT that gets gathered). I find a marinade of red wine and garlic for instance, will impart FAR more flavor than red wine and garlic in my drip pan. Just my two cents.
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    I appreciate it, do I need to tie it up? Is there a bacon of preference?

Sorry I have so many questions, until now the most expensive cut of meat I have put on my BGE was a brisket and I don't want to mess this day up!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michelle,

LMAO, Why don't you tell us what you really think :laugh:
    Trim the fat off of it, hit it with Drambuie and sear that thang B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Agree, LS. I'm no expert, but I would tie-up the thin end, then Trex it: sear it at 650 for a coupla mins per side, rest for 20, then roast at 400 until 120-125 (medium rare) to 135-140 (medium). It is a fine piece of meat. The only way you can screw it up is to overcook.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Mr Matt...NO disrespect...but I sure do shudder over the thought of a filet med-well.... :blink: . But, hey, that's what makes the world go 'round.
    And if you haven't heard it already, there are MANY "correct" ways to cook things on the egg. So, go with what feels best to you, and you will settle on your own method as you gain experience.
    Regardless of desired internal temp, I would sear, then finish raised grid direct. I pull mine at 118* for med rare.....I would pull at 130* tops, and allow a good 10-15 minute rest. Anybody wanting it more done than that, I would suggest putting it on the Egg for the individual. (IMO...ANY tenderloin cooked past medium should just be laced and worn... :blink: ) You could bring the 'other half' to 138* or so.....
    The tenderloin comes to a point....perhaps instead of trying to "even thickness out" by tying you cook it au Naturale, and those thinner ends will cook well to med well while the rest cooks to med/med rare. Just my thoughts....but I also have to admit, that any beef beyond med rare is DEAD AGAIN! :blink:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Miss,

How would you like your steak? :laugh:

I'm with you 100% but my wife grew up eating 'boot soles' and wants her steaks cooked GREY :ohmy: I mess up her steak 9 outa 10 cooks. :P just can't turn her.