Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket pushed forward in the back...Help

Options
FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Third gasket and same results..(on bottom) replaced with nomex and sooner or later it gets pushed forward right in the back( i guessed pinched forward). Number 2 nomex put on lifted some in the back when tightening the band but same results. Half of the gasket is hanging over the lip and scorched.. Anyone with similar problems and looking for a solution...Got a Rutland coming and don't want this to happen again

Thanks all

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Exact problem, Mike. Also waiting on the Rutland - weird. Question: are you planning on removing the nomex from the dome as part of the Rutland install?
  • FatMike
    Options
    My top nomex fell off a while ago and I have been cooking with only the bottom. I tried no gasket but the egg would stay hot so long and burn up the lump.
    What kind of adhesive are you going to use on the rutland? Most are talking about the high temp copper orange stuff
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Not sure about the adhesive. My nomex - while gravely wounded - is hanging in there and keeping the seal, so I don't have to do anything immediately. Good luck with yours, though - I guess I'll be doing it sometime next week.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fatmike...Sounds like the dome is set too heavily in the back. An alignment problem. Close the dome, back off on your screws, then retighten. I suspect if you looked closely at the junction of dome and base, you will see it is riding ever so slightly heavier in the rear, which is pinching the gasket and forcing it forward. Have you tried the "dollar bill" test? Open dome, put bill in gasket, and pull it out. The 'pull' should be equal all the way around. No worries, you'll get it! :) Definately sounds like a slight alignment adjustment is needed.
  • FatMike
    Options
    your right on it LC. The dollar pulls out with slight resistance everywhere but the back. Can't even slide the dollar out in the back...I'll get back at it...thanks
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    Naked Whiz has a get page on the installation of the Rutland Gasket.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Ron
  • FatMike
    Options
    RNLV, Thanks for the link
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    I replaced the gaskets on my small and mini and have made several cooks.

I'm pleased with it.

Gasket on base only

Used the adhesive that came with the package

You can buy it here

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Tape-95-6/dp/B000MIPB6S

The description is correct on the product but the pic is wrong - shows 1/2" tape.

Get the 7' x 5/8" 95-6
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    I replaced the gaskets on my small and mini and have made several cooks.

I'm pleased with it.

Gasket on base only

Used the adhesive that came with the package

You can buy it here

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Tape-95-6/dp/B000MIPB6S

The description is correct on the product but the pic is wrong - shows 1/2" tape.

Get the 7' x 5/8" 95-6

I picked up a Rutland at the local Menards for $6. If you have one in your area may be worth checking out, saves you the shipping cost.

As noted by a previous poster, the Naked Whiz site has complete instructions with due credit to Ron Pratt (a.k.a. RRP). Only thing I did different was to mark the gasket/base at 8 equal intervals instead of 4, for better uniformity.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    4 8 or 12 - whatever works for you! The key is to bunch it back into itself to make it wider and thicker so it only needs to go on the bottom.
    IMG_0317.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.