Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amberjack - Recipe Needed

Options
Crimsonsmoke
Crimsonsmoke Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a buddy that just came back from Florida with 300+ lbs of fish. He wants to grill amberjack tonight, but doesn't want me to bring my small BGE because he wants to learn how to cook it and be able to do it on his own. I suggested he buy a BGE, but tonight we will be on a gasser.[p]Anyone have recipes or suggestions.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    crimsonsmoke,
    This might be good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Ginger Honey Amberjack[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    crimsonsmoke,[p]Amberjack is excellent for the grill (gas or charcoal).
    This type of fish typically has a large bloodline, I remove the skin and the bloodline before grilling.[p]With 300lb+ you can try diferent ways of fixing it, my preference is smoked. For smoking do't remove skin, use your favorite rub and slow cook it (remove the skin and the bloodline after it's cooked). Smoked Amberjack, if vac packed will last a few months in the frezer.[p]Smoked Amberjack makes great smoked fish spread.[p]Enjoy[p]Pete

• Crimsonsmoke
    Options
    Pete,[p]I personally am not a big fish eater. I cook salmon, tuna and shark on occassion, but not much else. The fish I cook usally comes out of the case and is ready to go. [p]Please explain what the bloodline is and how to remove it.
    The fish were cleaned and and cut into fillets at the marina.[p]Thanks for your help.

• Unknown
    Options
    crimsonsmoke,[p]The Blood line is that dark stuf betwen the skin and the meat.
    When you remove the skin you will notice a large area of dark , almost black attached to the meat. One side the filet will look like fish on the skin side will look like mud.
    Take a sharp knife, like a filet knife, and remove the bloodline by cutting like you would fat from beef or pork.
    The filet should look like meat on both sides.
    The reason for removing the blood line, is that Amberjack is a game fish and it can be quite strong, by removing the blood line its less strong on the fish taste.
    Hope this helped.
    Pete

• Unknown
    Options
    Pete, Do I understand you to say you don't want the fish to taste like fish ?[p]What am I missing?

• Unknown
    Options
    HML,
    It's going to taste like fish no mater what, but it does not have to have a strong fishy taste.
    Fish taste = OK
    Fishy smell, strong taste, oily, cooked blood on the meat = NOT OK.
    Pete