Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PP setup for first big cook

Options
Copper Magnate
Copper Magnate Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks, see my other post regarding my newest baby.[p]Looking to cook 3 Pork Butts this weekend for my daughter's second birthday party. Got the pork on order at my butcher, 3 of similar size. Got the lump, and the bbqguru is on the way. Went with the 4 cfm model instead of the 10, which I really debated. In case anyone is interested as to why, I think that the 4 cfm model will get me a more even cook. More fan-on time, because the fans aren't variable speed. I think that 4 cfm is more than adequate to get to high temps quickly when using the BGE (hell, I can get high temps quickly without it). I am in the HVAC business so I prolly put more thought into than neccessary. Like sizing an air conditioner, you want the smallest unit that can handle the load. You want it to run constantly but be able to keep up at max load. I like to "drive" with cruise control rather than mash the gas, coast, mash the gas, coast, etc. Not saying either is better, I know a lot of people like the 10 cfm'ers. Just adding my thoughts as to why I bought what I did.[p]Anyway, to the real question: What is the best way to setup the large BGE for 3 PBs? I think a drip pan, from what I've read (gonna to Elder Ward's North Carolina Style Pulled Pork, great reading!!!!). I've got nothing other than what came with the BGE and need things that I can pick up locally within the next few days.[p]Thanks in advance for any replies![p]Copper Magnate

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Copper Magnate,
    Congrats & welcome! Wise One has a great collection of recipies - below is link to it. It may be an older version - not sure. I know they have gone to "Living Cook Book" so it can be updated. Anyway, this will get you going in the right direction. Cheers! Joe

[ul][li]TNW_Wise One Cook Book[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Copper Magnate, welcome to the Egg cult !! Follow Elder Ward's instructions on building the fire.Use a plate setter, feet up, drip pan on the setter. Put your gill on the feet and the Boston Butts on the grill. You may need a second level grill for a third butt. Your dealer or Wally World has extra grills for sale. It can be elevated with firebricks, kiln posts, or bolts and washers as "legs"...

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Copper Magnate,[p]Welcome! You're in for a lifetime of cooking and eating pleasure.[p]Ken
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Copper Magnate,[p] Welcome to the group. I made the same decision you did on the Guru but with a lot less thinking. It work great for those overnite cooks and really anytime you want to have your temp totally controlled. You must remember it is only for low temp cooks. Good luck with your future cooks and I know you will enjoy your Egg.[p]Louisiana Redneck
  • Unknown
    Options
    Copper Magnate, most likely you'll be thinking that 3 is too much for one grid...so if you have a plate setter do like has already been said and put it on top of the fire ring feet up, then what I would do is get a good sized drip pan and place one butt in center of pan on a v rack and center right on the plate setter, then put the grid on the feet of the p. setter and put the other two butts close together in center of grid right over the one on bottom. IMHO this would be a good set up.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Copper Magnate,
    You can see my set up using the platesetter on my website. Its in the tips section...there may be some other helpful info for you in the cooks section also..HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]