Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I cook Salmon?

Options
greenfan
greenfan Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked many things but I have never cooked salmon. Any help on what temp, direct or indirect, how long, and what to put on it? It also seems that it would be good to put foil under it so it doesn't break apart and fall through the grate.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
332b1e13.jpg

Comments

• NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Just follow these instructions and you will be very happy with the results!

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That's a big piece of fish. You could section it up and cook it several ways. Do a search for salmon in the search forum box, and you will get many ideas.

I have cooked it direct, on foil, on a foil lined cookie sheet, and on a plank, all somewhere in the 350-375 degree dome. Just don't overcook it and it should turn out great.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Here's a link to how I did some salmon last weekend :) Raised/direct at 350* is my prefered method.....

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=879539&catid=1#
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Good suggestions. It looks as though it does not have the skin on the back side.

To prevent the breakup when turning, I limit my flip to once only when using skinless salmon. As the Dizzy Pig site says, when it is done on the down side, it will release from a clean grid. To help prevent sticking on a grid, just before placing my fish on it, I take a folded paper towel dipped in cooking oil and held in tongs. Swipe the grid liberally, then place the fish in that spot. It will make it much less likely to stick. When the whitish stuff starts to ooze out on the top of the fish it is done (120* internal is a pretty good guide). This will look uncooked in the center, but it will flake with a fork and will NOT be dried out.

As said above - do not evercook. :(

Alder wood, or another mild wood will add to the flavor somewhat.

Good luck and enjoy. Oh yeah, post pics !! :woohoo:
  • greenfan
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies. I posted it and then had to run some errands.
    I will check these recipes out tonight (when I get a chance) :laugh:
    I'm sure it will be good, but I have never cooked it before and the family's mouth is watering so I don't want to screw it up!
  • greenfan
    Options
    Forgot to tell you, not cooking it tonight. Cooking it Friday night.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    If you get a skin-on piece, here is a quick & easy, go-to recipe:

Melt some butter and brush on the flesh side of the salmon. Let it stand on the counter while you get your egg to 400-500*. WHen the butter gets "sticky" liberally coat it with lemon pepper.

Option 1:

Place on oil-coated grid, skin down and cook until the white protein oozes on top. Remove, cover with foil and let it rest 4-5 minutes before serving.

Option 2:

Generously oil your grid immediately before placing it flesh down on the grid. Sear for 2 minutes, then carefully flip to skin down. Finish skin down until the white oozes out. Foil, rest and serve as above.

The skin will prevent any burning from the hot fire and separates easily for serving. Some people like to eat the crispy skin, if it didn't get over-charred in the cook.

Enjoy !

One of our favorite meals - salmon ! :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've haven't done this on the egg yet, but it's very good in the oven. Next time I cook it though... egg, indirect, maybe some alder for smoke - or none.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/8880/salmon-bake-with-pecan-crunch-coatiing.html

And as for cooking on Friday, I always buy my fish on the day I plan to cook it. Preferably from a fish market (as opposed to a grocery store). The fresher, the better. Just remember, if it smells like fish... well, it shouldn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• greenfan
    Options
    Everyone is busy tonight, and I got fast food for the kids. That's what they wanted. Throwing a cheap grocery store rib eye on for me. This is with Char-Crust on it pre-cook.
    7563509e.jpg
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I hope the ribeye turned out great for you.

Here is a wild caught Alaskan salmon filet - see how THIN it is? That's why I cooked it on foil on a cookie sheet.

PC252154.jpg

P1102203.jpg

This one on a cedar plank with some DP:

P5280390.jpg

Another one:

P5140227.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That's a beautiful piece of salmon you have there. My favorite way to cook it is on the dizzypigbbq.com website. Everyone that I've made it for says it's the best salmon they've ever had. Chris at Dizzy Pig has some great rubs but Raging River is definitely one of my favorites.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Salmon can be cooked so many ways.
    The Dizzy Pig Site has a great recipe. I cure mine and make lox and bagels.

salmon003.jpg
    salmon005.jpg

Practiced for a year for someone.

Mike
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I like to cook my salmon straight on the grill direct with a little plum wood for smoke. I normall cook my fish in 1 piece rather than cooking individual portions.
    I put it skin side down on 325 for about 4/6 minutes. I then turn it over and peel off the skin, and add a little glaze on the cooked side. Cook for a further 2/4 minutes depending on thickness, and try to keep slightly undercooked. Remember, salmon can be eaten raw, so undercooking is good, it keeps the fish moist.
    When you peel off the skin, sprinkle with flakes of sea salt and lay this on your grill also, and let it crisp up.

A chefs tip: if you see a white creamy looking juice coming from the fish, get it off quick, it is overcooked. Ideally the fish should be just turned from opaque to pastle colour in the centre, and judging this takes a little practice. When you get it right, salmon is as good as anything on the egg, and better than most.
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • malindamilagros
    Options
    As far as i know its about 10 mins for the preparation time and 12-15 mins for cooking time.

It depends on how thick the salmon is.The thicker the slice of salmon the longer it is to be cook and the smaller the slice the faster it will be cooked.

If you want a detail way on how to cook salmon just follow this link. I hope it helps =)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

We like to do ours on a plank using DP Ragin' River. 400F

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    As you can see above, salmon is easy and will turn out good unless overcooked. I cook mine skinless, direct at approx 350 degrees; skin on is fine, skinless is just just my personal preference.  Use any good salmon rub, maybe brush a little maple syrup on top.  It is good with and without smoke, my favorite is with a chunk of alder. RULE # 1: don't overcook!  A little pink inside is good.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I did this Wild At;antic Salmon last night.  Salt, Pepper lemon juice.  Pecan wood cups for smoke.  Drizzled with a butter, lemon caper sauce before serving.  Was buttery good and very tasty.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx