Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repairing and old Egg

Options
TomSWYLfan
TomSWYLfan Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I have been shopping around and trying to decide what to buy. It seems like the Egg is the choice!
Through my search, I came across a friend that had one he was selling. It needs the following: gasket, spring assisted band, firebox,
It comes with lump charcoal and a short small nest.
I can buy this and the new parts for less than half the price of a new one.
Is it a good deal? Or should I be concerned with needing to repair this one?
Any help is much appreciated.
Tom

Comments

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    I for 1 would not do it. go to an egg fest. get a demo. you will get a life time worry free. where are you from ? go to a fest. :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The warranty you would get on a new Egg is an important consideration, and a real money saver if you should ever need it.

If your friend is the original owner of his, he will be able to get the firebox replaced before he sells it to you.

But let's say he is not and you have to buy a firebox..... One thing that I have never seen asked is:
    "when buying replacement items for an Egg, are the replacement items now covered under warranty to the purchaser?" Does anyone know about this??
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomSWYLfan
    TomSWYLfan Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you.
    I am in Dallas Texas
    I didn't consider the warranty issue.
    His father is the original owner. If I move forward with him, I will definitely have him get the items that warranty will cover.
    A Demo sounds great! Any place other than a Fest to pick one up?
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    click on the eggfest central at the top of this page :woohoo: hope you get your egg!!
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    This may be a clay egg; if so, that could be a problem if you intend to cook at nuke temps. A clay egg is limited to around 300 degrees to be safe.
    I just gave my old clay egg away; survived being flooded in Hurricane Ivan and stiil worked after drying out.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    One thing that I have never seen asked is:
    "when buying replacement items for an Egg, are the replacement items now covered under warranty to the purchaser?" Does anyone know about this??

Then answer is yes. All ceramic parts purchased come with the lifetime warranty.
  • phshon
    phshon Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a damaged egg that I have repaired. I now need to paint the outer surface of the egg to restore the original look. What kind of a paint will give me that smooth, original look?