Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Eggfest - we had a great time

Options
UKMatt
UKMatt Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got back online after Austin and wanted to check in and say we had a great time at the Eggfest.

We met some really lovely people from the forum and wish we'd had the time to meet more!

We cooked the following:
- Tostito scoops stuffed with "refried" pinto beans, skirt steak, pepper jack, avocado cream and pickled jalapenos
- Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Both seemed to go well (although I was disappointed with the cookies as I'd previously used thick cut bacon and felt that was better than the regular I used at the Fest) and we "sold out" of both :-)

If anyone wants either of the recipes let me know.

I think we became lifetime attendees after this one!

UKMatt

PS - Thanks to a couple of people who gave me their beer tickets - I don't know whether I look like an alcoholic or people assume Brits love drinking beer... but either way, I appreciate it!

Comments

• eagin
    eagin Posts: 15
    Options
    I'd like the cookie recipe... I was disappointed that I missed out on dessert... must have left too early. :-) Maybe another time. Thanks.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    UKMatt wrote:
    We cooked the following:
    - Tostito scoops stuffed with "refried" pinto beans, skirt steak, pepper jack, avocado cream and pickled jalapenos
    - Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

And they were BOTH outstanding !!! :P Thank you !!!!!

I thought the lady's accent was Australian, not British.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• UKMatt
    Options
    Village Idiot wrote:
    And they were BOTH outstanding !!! :P Thank you !!!!!

Thanks very much!

Village Idiot wrote:
    I thought the lady's accent was Australian, not British.

Good ear - my wife is indeed Australian... but she puts up with me despite me coming from Mother England...

UKMatt
  • jnsloantx
    jnsloantx Posts: 10
    Options
    The cookies were amazing!!! I got two pieces, took them back to share with my wife and she wouldn't let me have any! It was absolutely her favorite food of the day!

I'd really like to get the recipe so I might actually be able to try it!

Jeff
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please post the Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
    :)
    WOW is all I can say....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• UKMatt
    Options
    Ok guys, here's the recipe I used for the cookies:

Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

10 Strips thick cut bacon
    Brown Sugar for sprinkling (about 7 TBS)

2 1/4 Cups AP Flour
    1 TSP Baking Soda
    1 TSP Salt
    1 Cup Butter, left out at room temp for about 30 mins
    3/4 Cup White Sugar
    3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 TSP Vanilla Essence
    2 Large Eggs
    12 oz Good Quality Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Candied Bacon
    I used the following oven method but I know some people make this on their egg.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. If you have convection, use that setting
    2. Lay bacon on a parchment covered baking sheet so they are not overlapping. Sprinkle about 2 TSP of the brown sugar evenly on each strip of bacon - no need to obsess about even coating - we'll flip them later.
    3. Bake for 12 minutes and remove from oven
    4. Flip bacon and drag it through the syrupy liquid that’s collected on the baking sheet - do that three times so the bottom side ends up on the top and both sides were dragged through the sugary bacon fat(!). 5. Put the bacon back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, until it is fully cooked and quite dark (mahogany).
    6. Remove the strips from the sheet and cool on a wire rack. Once cool, chop by hand or pulse in a food processor until finely chopped.

Cookies
    1. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
    2. Beat butter, both sugars and vanilla in a large bowl - I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer.
    3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
    4. Gradually beat in flour mixture until it forms a proper cookie dough
    5. Turn the mixer to slowest setting and stir in chocolate chips and bacon pieces.
    6. Spoon dough (about a TBS per cookie) onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 F for 9-11 minutes until the edges are brown. They will overcook quickly so watch them carefully. Obviously if you're doing this on the egg you'll need to set up for indirect - I used an adjustable rig with a pizza stone on the bottom and I cooked them on the top of the rig at 375 - 400. I found I needed to rotate the cookie sheet about half way through. For quick turnaround at the Fest I used parchment paper on a pizza pan and I cooled the pan between batches with water (and I dried it before reusing of course)

For the Eggfest I made the dough on Thursday and froze it solid. I kept it in a cooler on the way there and it was just defrosting when we needed to use it.

I received advice from a Doctor at the Eggfest that these "probably aren't very heart healthy" so make sure you only have one rack of ribs before eating these!

UKMatt
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    How's about coughing up the recipe for that avocado cream. Those were really tasty and would be a great appetizer. Thanks again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• UKMatt
    Options
    Village Idiot wrote:
    How's about coughing up the recipe for that avocado cream. Those were really tasty and would be a great appetizer. Thanks again.

Ok - I might as well do the whole thing:

Tostito Scoops
    Buy the plain ones from the store :)

"Refried" Beans
    - Quick Soak a bunch of Pinto beans (1 pound or so) by bringing them to rolling boil for 3 minutes and then covering, shutting off the heat for at least 1 hour. Drain.
    - In a Dutch Oven on the egg (I put the oven right on the coals) fry one yellow onion and 2 carrots all grated on a box grater along with 1/4 pound of diced sausage or other pork product (bacon, pulled pork, whatever)
    - When the veggies are soft, add 5 cloves crushed garlic, 1 TBS each of cumin, corriander and red chilli flakes and fry for one minute.
    - Remove the Dutch Oven and set the Egg up for indirect cooking with a single good sized chunk of pecan wood at about 300 or so. Don't overdo the smoke wood as they will be exposed for a while and if you cover them you won't evaporate enough liquid.
    - Add the beans along with hot low sodium chicken stock to cover
    - Cook until tender, stirring every hour, probably 2 to 2 and a half hours.
    - Add 2 cans of original Rotel (or crushed tomatoes if you don't live in the civilized part of the US :) )
    - Cook another hour until it gets happy and the liquid thickens a bit through reduction
    - Mash with potato masher until the consistency of refried beans

Skirt Steak
    Marinade 2 lbs steak in juice of one lime, 2 cloves crushed garlic, plenty of ground black pepper, 2 TBS Soy Sauce and 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce for at least 30 minutes and no more than an hour

Grill direct over hot fire until done to your liking.

Rest 20 minutes in foil.

Slice thinly across the grain and then into chunks

Avocado Cream

Put the following in a blender:
    - 2 small avocados
    - Juice of one lime
    - Half a bunch of cilantro, leaves and small stems only
    - 2 Jalapenos, seeded
    - 1 large container (about a pint) of sour cream (we use the Light version)

Blend until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper

Final Product

To assemble, put a spoonful of beans in the bottom of each tostito, top with a few chunks of steak and some grated Pepper Jack. Bake at 400 on the egg until cheese is bubbly and whole thing is hot.

Take off egg, top with a blob of Avocado Cream and a slice of pickled jalapeno.

Enjoy!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks Matt. Will definitely make some.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Absolutely fabulous meeting you if I may say so... :laugh:
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    My kids would NOT stop raving about the cookies!! Home run!
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Beli wrote:
    Absolutely fabulous meeting you if I may say so... :laugh:

Likewise Beli - it was a pleasure!

UKMatt
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    My kids would NOT stop raving about the cookies!! Home run!

Thanks Brad - now you just have to make some for them yourself :)

UKMatt