Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Dog Discussion

Options
wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Out west here in Idaho, we don't have the source or the vendors that could rival that of the famous Fred's Franks that you guys back east are able to enjoy.

We obviously have the Hormel and the Ball Park franks readily available at local grocery stores. Some of the larger chain stores carry the Hebrew National and Nathan's franks. In my humble opinion, Nathan's is a hard hot dog to beat. Freds Franks uses Pearl hot dogs.

Are Pearl franks really that much better than Nathan's??

Good (I'd really like to try a Pearl) eggin'
-Paul

Comments

• Beernuts
    Beernuts Posts: 71
    Options
    my question on hot dogs - top open or down?

seems to me they have to be open to prevent burning, but I am so ingrained to cook top down
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    No comparison. This is a quarter pound Pearl.
    DSC_0003_1-1.jpg
    Which dog is the Pearl?
    DSC_0008-4.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    With all due respect Beernuts, do you really think it matters?

Wannabe, I love Nathans. I prefer the bun length version. Not because of the extra length, but because they are thinner. I like to load mine up so less meat per bite is good.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    give the Hebrew National dogs a try, IMO they are as good as anything out there.....
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I find them too salty.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    yep, you have to simmer them first, then grill. still those are my choice outside newengland.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    We gave the Hebrew National a try; we did a side by side comparison and liked the Nathan's better.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I wonder if Walter Mathau really had them(Nathans) served at his funeral....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont know if you can get these but Kayem Old Tyme Beef is just a little step up from the nathans. has some paprika spice which adds to the flavor, the skins different as well, i think its lamb. the big pearls are hard to beat though. place near me deepfrys the kayems, the special order a 9 inch thin dog version. the kayem old tyme beef is the real fenway frank, the fenway frank you see in stores isnt the same recipe we get here from what i remember
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried Nathan's once. Didn't care for them at all. I usually bought Grote & Weigel all beef dogs (local to the Northeast I think) and thought they were pretty good. And then, I discovered Pearls!!! Absolutely no comparison to any others I have ever had. Those 1/4 pounders are AWESOME!!

But it IS kinda hard to fit them on a bun. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Fish, do they sell Yankees Franks? THOSE I might buy! B):lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I use a hoagie bun for the Pearls. And to my taste they are the best I've ever had.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    no...your stuck with nathens :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm a Pearl's convert too! Even though S & H here to IL is nearly as much as the dogs themselves!
    IMG_0839.jpg

I have the bun problem too, but solve it by cutting the cooked dog in half and then taking 2 buns and shortening them like this. Takes about 2/3rds of each bun. Works for me!
    IMG_0858.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    RRP
    Would you be interested in splitting an order of pearls? I could get them from you in june at the eggfest. I also am toying with doing a bomba order for the eggfest so let me know if you are interested. I will post something later once I know for sure I can do it
    tim
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    I find them delicious
  • RRP
    Options
    you have mail via this board so it might get caught in your spam file, but I did send it!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That's okay. At least they are a New York company, albeit Coney Island and not the Bronx. :evil: :lol::lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    whether you get the hebe nats or the nathans, part of its in how you cook em .. ..rather than throw them right on the grill, try cooking em like a brat ...put a pan of beer on the grill and simmer them in the beer first . . .add some good sour kraut to the beer as well ...then take the dogs from the pan of beer ...grill em up the way you like them, then add them back to the pan of beer for about 15 more minutes, then put them on the bun and add your 'stuff' to them ....

dats the way i like em. ...and i like both the nathans and hebe nats (and sabrets too) when i can't get a pearl ....
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Where can the Pearls be ordered from if they are not available locally ? I would like to try them.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    contact them at pearlmeat@aol.com or you may call them at 781-228-5100

http://www.pearlmeat.com/contact.html
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    They are sold in some BJs stores, but I'm not sure how widespread that is. I've been trying to get a list, but no luck yet. For now, you have to call them (or drive to Mass :) ).

http://www.pearlmeat.com/contact.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    From here, but you have to call and order them - and you'll need a major credit card. Ask for the Controller and she will take care of it all!
    http://www.pearlmeat.com/hotdog.html
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Dang, I was just at BJ's the other day and forgot to look for them.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hey, I TOLD ya, now didn't I? B)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Thanks ! I'll give them a call. I won't ever be driving to Mass. as far as I know. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    FWIW, I pay $11.99 for a 2.5 lb box (10 1/4 pounders) in the grocery store. No clue what they charge direct from Pearl, or for shipping. Enjoy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    that's just a little over the price bought direct though you can't buy a half pound direct. Mathematically if it could be done it would cost me $11.25 vs your $11.99.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    What half pound? TWO and a half pounds for $11.99. What's their minimum phone order?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Never mind - I get it. Duh... :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut