Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seattle here....looking at Eggs

Options
HeavyMetal
HeavyMetal Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings Eggheads,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am in the Seattle area....have been a Weber charcoal guy...and recently tried BGE ribs. I now am looking to take the plunge into BGE. I had been grilling 2-3 times per month with the Weber and last year built a patio cover so I could grill during the rain/snow/sleet/wind/other Seattle fun.

Any BGE advice for a newb? If I was looking at a large egg...would this be a good jumping off point?

HeavyMetal

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    HeavyMetal,

Yes, get used to grilling/smoking 4 to 7 days a week. Take the plunge on the large and you will lose your restaurant/fast food expenditures to zero. Your charcoal or lump bills will drop. You will gain weight :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    My grilling also increased. I only Webered about twice a month. I have been egging 3-4 times a week for over a year. We almost never go out anymore. My charcoal usage when way up. Between the XL and medium, I used about 400 pounds this past year.

Size depends on your needs. I have 4 kids (5 in a couple of weeks), and do a lot of grilling, so the XL comes in handy. But I use my medium a lot too. I'm sure I would use the large and small, if I had those. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bash,

Didn't mean to knock the XL. I have one too. Trying to figure a way to get the new one without a divorce. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I didn't read your post as a knock on the XL. I too will get the new XL. (Bought mine used, and the base is cracked). I'm sure they are all great. If money grew on trees, I would have one of each.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    where in Seattle?
  • HeavyMetal
    Options
    Q Bruddah,

In the Kent/Covington area. Are you local too?
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Mountlake Terrace. Got my LBGE just after Easter. I love it.
  • osbeavs
    osbeavs Posts: 10
    Options
    Kitsap-side here. Got my BGE early March. Awesome. Went with the large -- figured the most versatile size for my cooking. Well that, and the wife called the medium 'cute' and I wasn't having any of that.

Menu of cooking so far: babybacks, sweet potato fries, 2 pork tenderloins, steaks, brats, burgers, chicken wings, chicken thighs. Next up: pizza. Oh yeah, in the NW rain too!

Trying different rubs from Bad Byron's Butt Rub to Dizzy Pig sampler plus various wood chips. Still learning and experimenting.

I'd be at Smokin' in Seattle 6/5 if I was in town. [It's hosted by a major BGE distributor, I think]

Good luck!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Buy a Large and all the eggsserories you can afford! B)
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I apologize. I forgot my manners earlier. Welcome to the forum. I didn't have a choice since my egg was a gift. I wouldn't want anything smaller unless it was my next egg even then my first choice would be another large or XL. Cooking on the egg changes how you think about cooking and eating, at least it has me. I tend to think in terms of production for cooks like ribs and butts. Some might be hold over from restaurant days but if you're going babysit a smoker all night why do it for just 4 lbs of meat? I smile as I fire it up in the rain. It was instinctive to grab the daisy to prop open the top while the lump caught since opening it all the way let the rain in. I never would have grilled on the Weber in the rain.
    I tried Bad Byron Butt rub and it was okay but I have made better rubs from scratch following Weber recipes. I have done chicken, steak, pork, multiple times, shrimp, potatoes and beets. I am anxious to do my first low and slow.
    Glad to have you as part of the family. As I have read many times here--"We likes pictures" Don't miss the opportunity to document your first cook from raw to cooking to plated. Believe me it will be unforgettable. Someone will help you posting your pics. That will probably be harder than the cook. You are going to love your new life style and your new friends.
    See ya at the PNW Eggfest in Kent on June 5th
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Agree with the suggestion for a large.

The Ceramic Grill Store (www.ceramicgrillstore.com) has hi quality accessories that you will find useful (better than the BGE accessories).

Also order the sampler pack (or all 11 rubs if you have some xtra dough) from Dizzy Pig (www.dizzypigbbq.com) They are all my "go to" rubs.

Also highly consider going to the Eggfest there on June 5. You will eat some awesome food. The banner is at the top of the Forum.

We are coming through Seattle on June 12 & 19 on the way to and from a week in Whistler - missed the fest by 1 week :( , but will get to visit our daughter & s-i-l who live in Lynwood.

Later......
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have two large BGE's but, one is good for now until the seed takes good root! :woohoo: Tim
  • Earless
    Earless Posts: 9
    Options
    Big small any egg at all you'll be able to grill winter spring summer and fall.
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Clark,

Too bad you'll miss the PNW Eggfest by a week. It'd would have been a great way for us NW eggheads to meet you. Better luck next year, eh?

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Misippi Egger -- I live 10 minutes from Lynnwood. Do Daughter and SIL have an egg?
  • BraveUlysses
    Options
    Everett egger reporting in!

I've had great luck using Craigslist RSS feeds to find BGE's...I found my almost-new large BGE (still had white walls inside) for only 500 bucks.

I found my first one, a used medium, at Thompson's Hearth & Home Issaquah, where the store owner, Guy, took an older used egg in on a trade and resold it to me. You might try contacting him to see if he has any used eggs available.

And of course, you can score a sweet deal on an egg at the Eggfest in June. I'll be there, cookin' up some ribs :side:
  • ebski
    ebski Posts: 15
    Options
    Depending on how far you want to drive, Rich's in Bellevue has a great selection of eggs and more importantly, eggccessories. I live fairly close to the store and its been expensive, every time I go in I see another item I 'need'. If they don't have it, they will order it for you, but they carry a great selection of both eggccessories and charcoal.

I just got a nest handler there and installed it over the weekend...and buy my Ono charcoal there. They also have WW and BGE in stock most of the time.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Not yet - apartment dwellers while he is still a poor student at Bastyr School of Naturopathic Medicine.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Clark,

I'm not sure the skiing is any good in Whistler in July :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    But the hiking, fishing and butt sitting is definitely in season !

I found 2 stores in Vancouver that (per the Internet) sell La Bomba. Just gotta keep it from all leaking out on the plane trip home or I will be licking it off the clothes in the suitcases! :laugh: :laugh: