Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know it's been asked and answered before, but

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I get some opinions on how long I can keep a couple butts wrapped in foil, towels and in a cooler? I'm having to plan my cook to allow enough time for ribs after taking the butts off, and I'd rather not refrigerate if I can avoid it.[p]Looked in the archives, but I didn't find anything.[p]Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    BamaBob,
    even if it took you 5 hours to cook those ribs your butts will be fine. I use a Coleman that locks down tight so with all the towels I wrap tightly around the butt there is no room in the cooler even for air.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    BamaBob,
    For information only, as I have not made a practice of this....I did a small brisket last weekend (6#) and after I took it off the egg, I had to go to a "function." So, I wrapped the brisket in a foil covered cake pan, towels, and pot holders in a cooler. About 5 hours later when I got home, the internal temp was 145°. Just right for eating, and the temp is above that 140° mark. [p]Worked fine.[p]Mike in MN

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BamaBob,[p]Just so's I don't get things confused... You want to serve pulled pork and ribs at the same time. Right?[p]In my experience, you can hold the shoulder wrapped etc. for about 4 hours. What I'd do is cook the shoulders, wrap and hold while you start the ribs. In the last hour of the rib cook, I'd unwrap the shoulder(s), pull it (them), and return to the warm environment. This should put both on the platter within minutes of each other.[p]HTH,
    Ken

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Happy 4th!!!!!!!!!