Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork belly cook . how do I slice to bacon ??

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok here is my 1st pork belly to bacon cook. Everything came out great, the pieces I cooked up taste very good. I am not sure how to slice the bellies so I can make them thin and crispy. I'm sure I need a slicer. I posted the curing last week, here are the results: After a week long curing and flipping bags, plus 2 days of drying, I put these on after a 26 hour brisket cook on the med. (posting coming next) Brisket came off at 6pm, bellies went on at 150 for 7.5 hours and came off at 120 degrees. Next into ziplocks and in the fridge, sliced some up and I got bacon. 12 pounds of bacon. I really need help with the slicing.IMG_4419.jpgIMG_4421.jpgIMG_4435.jpgIMG_4437.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Man, yours looks very good!!
    I think a slicer is going to be your best bet for consistancy of slices. If you have a real sharp knife and good knife skills you can do it that way also. Might call your butcher and see if they will do it for you. Not sure if a grocer would do that because of laws.
    Tell me about your smoking it. Size egg, size of lump. Did you keep it small or controll with vents. What flavor smoke wood? Tasty?
    Another thing, if you put enter between pictures they will come out on top of another vs nest to another.
    Easier to read, I think.
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Since you do not have a slicer, my suggestion is to place them in the frig overnight and then with a very long sharp blade knife, cut as this as you ca. The overnight makes them set up enough to slice fairly easy. Long blade like for a roast. You might want to make your pic smaller so they do not wrap the test.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Try a local butcher or Deli.They may slice it for you.I do not think you will be pleased with knife cutting.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    Cooked on Med Egg, Filled egg just under plate setter with BGE lump and cooked brisket 26 hours. next added some more lump and and more local apple wood chunks. egg was holding at 150 with bottom vent open 1/8 inch and daisy wheel with lil slits.bacon is very tasty . thanks for the pic tip