Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First long cook Friday night...need help

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I'm ready to try my first long cook. Pulled Pork....I've done a lot of reading and I hope I understand most of it. There seems to be different types of meat to make pulled pork. What do you guys recommend as far as the cut of meat? I'm just doing this for my family but mostly my daughter, she loves pulled pork. I want this to be better that a restaurant's. Please give me as much advice as you can starting with the the meat, how much lump to put in, to the total time. I was thinking of using Dizzy Pig's recipe.Any others that are as good or better? Thanks for the help in advance.

Mark

Comments

• JackBurton
    Options
    Naked Whiz has a great tutorial on his site. The first time I did this I was scared I'd screw it up but the egg works magic on stuff like this. People will think you're a BBQ legend. I just use a plain ol' prok butt. It'll take 1.5 - 2 hours per pound to cook. Then wrap it in foil and let it sit for at least an hour so the meat absorbs the juices. Don't sweat it. It'll be great
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    A pork shoulder, the front leg of the pig is what is used for pulled pork. The top portion of the shoulder is called a butt, don't know why, and the lower portion is referred to as a pic-nic. You want to cook it with indirect heat with a dome temp of 250 until it reaches an internal temp of 190-195. At this point it will be falling apart. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Do read Elder Ward's instructions for pulled pork at the Naked Whiz's site. It is very detailed, and covers all aspects.

Either pork butt or picnic works, the bigger, the better. I try to do nothing smaller than 6 pounds.

Don't go to bed until your dome temperature is steady for 30 min. at 250 with the butt/picnic on. Then wake up and check after 4 hours. If you happen to have a remote thermometer, you just need to open your eyes and give the monitor a peek.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Mark, Pulled pork is a very forgiving cook.

Buy a fresh bone-in Boston Butt. I prefer to inject mine with a cajun injectable marinade (usually Creole butter), about 1/2 jar per 7-8 # butt (it won't hurt to do the whole jar). I then cover liberally in Dizzy Pig Coarse (or regular) Dizzy Dust. Straight to the Egg. Injecting is definitely not necessary, though.

Fill lump up to almost touching the platesetter (feet up). Light the lump on the surface in 3-4 places (to reduce the chance of a central burn). I mix about 4-5 large (fist-sized) dry chunks of hickory through the lump. Put spacers (foil balls, whatever) on the platesetter then a foiled drip pan on top of the spacers.

Let your fire stabilize with platesetter, drip pan and grid in place for 40-60 minutes at 240-250* dome. If you have a Guru, 225* at the grid.

Put the butt on (do not adjust the vents when the temp goes down from the cold meat). You might set your alarm and check every 3 hours or so to make sure everything goes well.

I cook mine to 200-205* internal, foil and rest in a cooler for an hour, then pull and enjoy !
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I was thinking of using yellow mustard with a light run. I also wanted to sauce it also. At what point do I put sauce on? Would I use the same sauce that I use for ribs?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The biggest thing is to not make to big a deal of it.
    Clean the egg of all ash and old lump.
    Use any commerically available rub or just mix Salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar.
    Then follow AZRP's advice noted above.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    After it get to about 170*, you can crank up the heat and speed up the finish without affecting the outcome. Some even foil-wrap and finish in a 350* oven!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    The biggest thing is to not make to big a deal of it.
    Clean the egg of all ash and old lump.
    Use any commerically available rub or just mix Salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar.
    Then follow AZRP's advice noted above.
    :) That's funny. I'm nervous every time I use the egg.It seems very easy though. How much lump, and what level?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Add the sauce after it is pulled. You want a dark, crispy bark when finished.
    Mustard is not as necessary to hold on the rub as it seems to be with ribs. One step you can save. Especially if you inject, as it makes such a mess, the rub has plenty to stick to.. :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I put the sauce on the meat when I make a sandwich. Before I got the Egg I used to mop the shoulders with a vinegar butter mixture to keep them moist but its not necessary in the Egg. Here is my sauce recipe. -RP

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Clark, you make it sound very easy. Do you think injecting it helps? Just not sure what I should use to inject. I was planning on using a light rub of DP Raging River. Should I mix it for the injection too? It's starting to click for me. I can't wait until Friday night.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    The part that I'm nervous about and not really sure of is the skin or the fat. How much to trim or leave on, fat side up in the rack? Do you cut the dark bark off or pull that too?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    As far as rubbs go I believe you will get a great butt no matter what you use. Bad Byrons butt rub is a winner and Dizzy Pig is also a great choice. You can make your own with just some brown sugar, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and a few other spices. If you want to make your own just google homemade bbq rubb. As far as how much lump, fill it up to half way up the fire ring and you know you'll have plenty. Make sure to cook at 250 dome as already stated. Probably over half of the fires I read about going out were fires where someone was trying to hold 225 or 210 or something. If you try to hold under 250 without a power draft unit I believe you have a much more sensitive fire to keep going. Even if you can hold 210 it takes the normal 1.5 hours per pound to well over 2 hours per pound resulting in it never getting done and on most accounts ending up in an oven for the quick finish. The only other thing I think is crutial is making sure you have all your equipment (plate setter, grates etc.) inside the egg when you bring it up to temp. Get it honed in on 250 for at least 20 minutes or so before adding the meat. When you add the meat walk away and dont come back for an hour or so. The egg should slowly creep back up to 250 as the cold mass (meat) gets closer to temp. This could take 2 hours. If you throw the meat on and jack with the temp for the first few hours you will have a sleepless night chasing the temp all over. Good luck and post results!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Ross in Ventura wrote:
    Ross, Thanks that helps lot. I printed the pictures out and will use it as a guide.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    No Tweev, picnic and butt cuts will cook about the same. Both result in very good pulled pork. Some will say the B.I. picnic will be moister but I don't think it makes a real difference. I prefer Butts because there seems to be a little less dark meat.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thanks Rolling Egg, I will try and post some pics on here. I know this topic has been beaten to death but it's nice to get some updated advice :) OK so who is going to let me call them in the middle of the night when I have issues????? :) Just kidding, thanks for all the help on here. You should see my folder of recipes, notes, concerns...etc. I would recommend other newbies doing the same until you really get a hang of it. It's so helpful to go back and look at you previous cooks both good or bad

Thanks again, Mark
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Mark, Personally I have lately been trimming off most of the fat as it gives me more meat for the rub, thus more bark.

Most groceries carry some brand of injectable marinade, but again it is not necessary. I just think it adds a little more flavor to the internal meat that is not in contact with the rub.

Not sure about the Raging River - is has a good bit of sugar that might burn. I've always used Dizzy Dust. Someone else might have used RR and can comment.

If you leave the fat cap on, there has been discussion here in the past over placing it up or down and my conclusion as been to leave it down when I don't trim it off.

The Butt shouldn't have any skin on it - the pic-nic might.

Man, the bark is what we all drool over :woohoo: :woohoo: ! You can mix it in with the other pulled meat. The part that is too hard to pull, I set aside and chop up finely and add to the pulled pork - great flavor kicker! :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Load the lump past the top of the firebox, into the level of the fire ring.
    Typically you wouldnt want to apply any sauce until well after the cook and pulling.
    In my opinion, mustard should be saved for hotdogs. Dry rub only.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Mark0525 wrote:
    The part that I'm nervous about and not really sure of is the skin or the fat. How much to trim or leave on, fat side up in the rack? Do you cut the dark bark off or pull that too?

Any ideas on this?

Also do you guys think it's necessary to go to a butcher shop for this meat or do you think a grocery store meat department is ok?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Mark,

Spring Chicken might be up if you have a question in the middle of the night. :laugh:

We also have several other night owls on here regularly....
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thanks Clark on the bark and fat.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Watch out at the grocery - check the fine print as much of their pork has been injected with 2-12% of some kind of solution. Try to get a fresh butt. If you have a Sam's or Costco within driving distance, their meat is great!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thanks Tweev, Good luck with yours!!!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I agree! Make sure to look at the butts closely. I use to use Tyson from wal-mart until I looked and noticed they are all injected with a solution. Now I buy fresh ones with no solution. Mostly at Sams and some I buy at Piggly Wiggly. They carry a brand called Prairie Fresh. Very good luck out of them.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    you have email...
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Mark, just a couple of extras that I haven't seen mentioned. If you're not using a meat thermometer to check for doneness, you can use the bone on a bone-in butt to let you know when it's ready. You'll be able to easily twist, or even remove the bone by hand when the meat is done.

Also, once you've allowed the meat to rest and have pulled/shredded, you might want to consider adding some additional rub and tossing it all together for extra flavor. If you do inject this might not be necessary.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I used this. It is Elder Ward's write up on the Naked Whiz site. This was my second cook on the egg, my first time ever to smoke my own meat and it came out fantastic.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    I buy a butt portion. Tried other cuts, definitely NO to shank cut and the Boston Butt was not my cup of tea but I am a Southern man so go figure. Dome @ 230-250 takes me usually 2.5 hours per lb. to reach a 190-200 meat temp. When the meat looks like it is covered in burnt tree bark you will know you are on track, it is the best part. I smoked a 7.75 lb and a 5.35 lb. last weekend for 24 and 22 hours. Nothing on it or in but suit to your liking. My kids eat it and two people I fed it to at work went out and bought smokers the next week (but not a BGE). Also wrap in foil, and a towel, put it in a cooler for 2-3 hours before pulling. Actually, it is even better after refrigerating and re-heating, gets more flavorful. Do not pull prior to 190, go to 195-200 and there will be almost no fat what so ever. Everytime I try spicing one up, my family ask me to go back to plain, although Bad Byron's Butt Rub does give a hint of flavor. You are getting plenty of advice here and I am just another one. You can always spice one up later. Guarantee this simple cook will leave no one un-happy. Best of luck.
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    Also, I forgot, indirect with drip pan full of water and don't let the water run out. I fill my Large to top of fire ring. I have run out of lump before in 16 hours and I have had 2/3 left after 24 hours. No rhyme or reason. I have finished in the oven before if I run out and don't want to re-load. I also carefully place selected chunks on the bottom and sides (near vent holes) to protect and leave open the holes as much as possible rather than just dumping the bag. Several chunks of hickory, not just on top of lump but layered in your lump so some hickory is always smoking throughout the burn. Make sure your meat therm. probe is not touching the bone. Can you tell this is my favorite cook?