Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Soup plans/Good simmer temp?

ThunderBunnyThunderBunny Posts: 133
edited 4:17PM in EggHead Forum
Good Saturday afternoon/Holy Saturday all!
I plan on whipping up a good old fashioned pot of chicken soup tomorrow and thought it'd be fun to try it on the Egg.
What's a good temperature to create a true simmer during the broth creation phase? I'm talking about the kind of quiet simmer where a few bubbles break the surface occasionally...not a rolling boil. I'm guessing about 300* or so?
Also, would a wood chunk or two do anything for the flavor of the broth or really end up being just a waste of wood?

• lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    300 in the beginning, after a bit , especially with cast iron, you should be able to damp it down a little further, and the wood is not a waste of time especially in the beginning when there is not a lot of steam coming off the soup..
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,292

What bill said. You will likely settle in around the boiling point, maybe less.

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Over here, this was 330°. I can;'t remember if I clipped the temp probe on the dome or on the spider, usually I won't clip below the top of the food cook level so I am thinking dome.

Low simmer. Best to watch the pot, 300° would be a good starting point.

• As always..much obliged, guys.