Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my hint for those doing Egret\'s ham for Easter

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egret (John Hall aka Grape Boy) gave us a wonderful recipe a few years back which he just called Maple - Bourbon. One of the steps in that wonderful recipe is coating the ham at least the night before if not 24 hours in advance which I think is even better! Anyway here is my solution to keeping the coating in tact while in the refrig - I call it the porcupine using round tooth picks broken in half for the structure.
IMG_0876-1.jpg
and then the tent made of Saran Wrap.

IMG_0878.jpg

Obviously please remove ALL before the cook!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Your porcupine has a lot of bald spots! ;)

I'll be using Dr. Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade and Double Smoked Ham Glaze again this year.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Egret's gets a lot of attention..and rightfully so it's great....and Dr Chickens is a tribute in itself...but if you wanna try something that ranks right up there check my cooks section for the recipe/ technique that YB shared with me...been a big hit in our family for many years...not meant in any way to take away from the 2 mentioned thechniques as they are both AWESOME..just a variation..and a good one if I do say so..
  • BeerMike
    Options
    I'll check it out. Sometimes I need a little push to stray from something my family really likes. Thanks for the push!

B double E double R U N,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great Hint! I use that same setup for frosted cakes n stuff! ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm real glad you will! Now if you ever run in to that slease ball, Dave Spence aka Dr Chicken please remind that dead beat jerk and his co-signed wife that they still owe me $10,000 - and that is no joke!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :ohmy: :whistle: :( :angry: THAT SUCKS!!! Sorry for your loss.Been there ,Done that!!! :( :angry:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thats a great concept Ron

Ross
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Yeah......that's what I'm talkin' about!! :laugh: I've been saving my used toothpicks all year!? B) Grape Boy??! I knew you were one of "them"!! :woohoo:
  • BrisketBob
    BrisketBob Posts: 145
    Options
    Egret or others--Do you ever put fresh pineapple on the ham? If so, when do you put it on--at first or later?
  • BeerMike
    Options
    Sorry I hit a nerve RRP. :( I didn't mean to do that. This makes me sick... I don't understand people like that.

Cheers,

Mike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs