Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 lb Pork Loin

Options
Razer
Razer Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 10 lb pork loin that was a prize from an event. I would like to serve it this Easter. It is too long for the egg so I will have to cut it in half at least. Does anyone have a good recipe for that big of a loin? Time, temp, rub, inject?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tommy Ray,

Trust me on this. Season or rub the way you want but cook at 250* indirect until 135* internal. If it needs a sear at the end remove the platesetter and drip pan and sear with the dome open vents all open.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I had a full loin and cut it into thirds. One of these was then slabbed, then rolled with spinach, asiago, pine nuts, S&P, EVOO, some Parmesan cheese, and a few other ingredients I can't think of at the moment. Basically, just stuff it full of flavors you'd think might taste good with pork. Roll it back up and cook it next to two others rubbed with the seasonings of your choice. Cook at 350 dome until one of the whole ones is 145 internal. Allow to rest for 15 minutes or more and slice and serve.

Porkloin001.jpg

Porkloin006.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What Steven said.I like the stuffed/rolled ones too! :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice roll Mike.

I like em like Mike's.

I always start with spinach and then something crunchy, sweet, and cheese

Crunchy - pine nuts, walnuts, or pecans
    Sweet - grapes, apple, raisins, or pear
    Cheese - your choice

Add some rub and you are good.

By cutting in two or three pieces, you can do a couple different ones.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I am going to contradict everyone. As to rubs or bastes and smoke use what you like. As to cooking I recently found a long write-up on a different BBQ site that I tried and really liked.
    I’ve been cooking pork to 145 for a while and I plan on still cooking tenderloins to that temp.
    Now this sounds like insanity but trust me it works. Cook till 165 with the Egg at 250 t0 275 then wrap in foil and cook to 195.
    I know this sounds like I’m nuts and that your making dried up nasty pork but it works. It comes out juicy and very soft. The guy that wrote up the technique stated he puts knives on the table as a joke. The pork comes out tender enough you don’t need a knife.
    I don’t normally link to other forums but this thread is very good. The cooking info is buried so read it all. Some of the other stuff is pretty clever. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7299

I’m responding on day 2 of your post so I figure it’s a long shot that you’ll check this but if you do try it and see if it isn’t the best pork loin you’ve had.
    TTFN WLL