Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first cook Sorry no pics

Options
Jefferson62
Jefferson62 Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large Egg arrived Saturday morning, as promised. The delivery guys had it setup and ready to go in about 20 minutes. They asked if I wanted them to light it for me. Lighting the Egg was quick and easy. I spent most of the morning adjusting for different temperatures, just to get use to that.

After a few hours of playing I just had to cook something. I had some 1/3 # burgers in the fridge so I put some beef rub on the outside and place them on the CI grill at about 350 degrees 4 to 5 minutes per side. The outside did not get a good sear and the middle was a little too rare for me. I will try burgers a 400 degrees and see if the searing is any better.

That afternoon I bought a plate setter and an instant read therm. I also went to the Farmers Market and picked up a few 1" thick New York strips, about 3/4 lbs each, and some fresh beets.

Sunday morning I looked for recipes and found the Balsamic glazed beets with pineapple. I had to get some additional things at the store and when I got back I fired up the Egg and got to work. Four med potatoes skewed and foil wrapped beets indirect 400 degrees for about an hour. The NY strips were rubbed with a steak rub I had laying around and placed into a zip lock bag. The bag went into 120 degree water bath. I pulled the potatoes and beets, removed the plate setter, added the CI grill, and opened both vents to full. The Egg was 600 degrees when the strips hit the grill for 2 minutes per side. Pulled at 122 internal and rested for 10 minutes.

The sear was all but perfect, nice crusty brown fat with black grill marks. The middle was a little rare for my taste, maybe try 130 internal next time. The potato with sour cream, chives, and bacon bits, sitting next to the rich red colored beets, and the near perfectly cooked steak, was one tempting plate.

I hope this is not too detailed or wordy for you, but I am very pleased with how my first cook turned out, and wanted to let you know. Now to plan my second cook, any suggestions? Hopefully I'll have pictures of the next one.
Dave

Comments