Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!! Newbie having a hard time controlling temp

Options
Ranger
Ranger Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and kids got me a Large BGE for Fathers Day. I've been wanting one for years, and now I am a little intimidated by it. I cooked a chicken yesterday, but had a very difficult time getting the temp below 300 degrees (290-310), what am I doing wrong? I am attempting to make an Eye of Round today, and I need some help fast!![p]Anyone out there care to help a newbie?

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Ranger,[p]Don't overshoot your target temp. Once you get the temp up high, it takes a while to get it to cool down.[p]Instead, let it creep up to your target temp, and stabalize it a bit below your target and give it a few minutes.[p]What temp are you going to use for the Eye of Round?[p]
  • Ranger
    Options
    James,
    Thanks for the response. That's just it, the BGE got to 400+ degrees almost as soon as I got the fire starters going and the coals started to catch.[p] My wife seems to think we should try to use 350 for the Eye of Round. It's quite thick, and weighs five pounds. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for the help.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ranger,
    follow any good old recipe for cooking in an oven.
    you'll be fine.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Ranger,
    I gotta agree with James - try to "sneak up" on the temperature.
    It took me a few times and advice on this board to figure it out!!
    Use a polder and don't overcook your beef!! We usually olive oil it and kosher salt it- then go 300 degrees indirect with a drip pan. Always turns out great!! [p]Good Luck!![p]AZ Geoff

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ranger,
    I'm working on a web page on temperature control, but for now, yes if the ceramic gets hot, the egg will take longer to cool down. If you only had the egg up to 400 briefly while the starter cubes were burning, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it back down to 300. If, however, you let it stay at 400 for a while, the ceramic heats up and that then makes it harder for the egg to cool down. [p]Realize also that the starters give a false high temperature while they are burning. Once they burn out, the air temp in the Egg will drop quite a bit. At that point, you should be able to start closing down your vents as you approach your target temp from below. [p]TNW [p]

The Naked Whiz
  • Ranger
    Options
    stike,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully I'll soon figure this BGE out and won't be so intimidated by it.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ranger,
    One other comment would be to calibrate your thermometer by holding it in boiling water and making sure it is close to 212 (unlesss you are at a higher altitude, I have a boiling point calculator on my website in the FAQ).[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ranger
    Options
    AZ Geoff,
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

• stike
    Options
    Ranger,
    check the Whiz's site on the Tao of charcoal.
    it initially struck me as a gag, but man if he doesn't nail it.[p]the best way to control temps on a BGE is to not try to control temps.[p]seriously.[p]sneak UP on your target temp. then maintain calm whenever it sways 5 degreess up or down. resist the urge to keep it within 5 degrees and you'll find that it will STAY within 5 degrees.[p]if you TRY to control it, it will control you.[p]i did a rack of lamb yesterday and i controlled the temp by starting it, putting the daisy on after a few minutes with what looked like 'medium open' settings, and walking away to make a drink for myself and the guests.[p]came back, bop, right on target.
    tweaked it a bit, put on the lamb, and had another drink.[p]see, it's the tequila which calms me, and hence calms the egg![p]beer works for some. [p]and then again, there are those who need no calming measures, who are inately restful. they are the few gods among men.

• Ranger
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for all the info. I went to your webpage and I plan on looking at it in detail after I mow the lawn.[p]Thanks for all the help.[p]Dan

• Ranger
    Options
    stike,
    The "Tao" of charcoal? Sounds sort of Zen, but I'll try anything. I think I'll also use some Bombay Gin in order to control my desire to control the temp.[p]Thanks,[p]Dan

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ranger,
    Gin???? Now we're talking! LOL![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    ah yes...
    my dad was down for a dad's day treat, and a mother's day obligation too boot.[p]we were doing a rack of lamb, and the 'old man' walks in with 2 four pound lobsters.[p]i said, gee dad, i'll have to have you over for fathr's day NEXT weekend too.
    anyway.[p]he was having tanqueray and tonics, which were my drink of choice for summer until i tripped upon this tequila habit...[p]ever try the tanqueray 10? mmmmm good[p]cheers

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    stike,
    ok, that did it! I am going for the limes and the tequila I got in Mexico las spring! Gotta do something while those ribs are cooking!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Penny

• stike
    Options
    Penfresh,
    ....I'm headin home for MY father's day cocktails and egging too. (was in work today for a few hours... )

• Ranger
    Options
    stike, James, Pen, AZ Geoff, Naked Whiz (et al). Thanks for all the words of advice about the temp. I had much better luck get the temp within range this time, but I still need to practice. (BooHoo) The Eye of Round was flippin incredible, and just served to validate my waiting for three years to get a BGE, and not another cheaper grill. I saw a guy in the BGE video that made some shrimp stuffed with Crab wrapped in Bacon. I am dying to try that one. Anybody got any recipe for that? On another note, I saw some postings that look like they came from some sort of BBQ competition, and idea how you get involved in something like that?[p]Thanks again for all the help.
    Dan