Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic popping off!

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A half dollar sized piece of ceramic popped of my Egg the other day? What caused this? I did not hit it or anthting like that. I have three Eggs and this is the first time this has happened. Not a real bug deal, but I would like to seal it back. Any ideas on how to repair it? Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure you could seal it by covering the exposed spot with JB Weld or other epoxy but I would send a couple photos to "retail@biggreenegg.com" and confirm.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

... and or warranty, that's what it is there for.

Wonder if moisture was in the ceramic or an unseen small air pocket in the slip, however, I would think that would have popped in the initial firing.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you look in the middle and see something that looks like a pebble it is ceramic that didnt get thouroughly mixed before firing. been told by bge its covered by warrantee.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QCA Egger
    QCA Egger Posts: 34
    Options
    I had a customer that this happened to, called our distributor and it was covered under the warranty. I had never heard of this happening before.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would rather have it replaced if it were mine.
    When I was a kid my grandmother was big into making ceramics of all kinds. Her entire basement was kilns and molds. When we would visit for the summer we would help mix. When a piece would come out of the kiln cracked or blown out she would look over and say we did not mix this batch very well. She was normally right but what could she expect from free labor? LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • QCA Egger
    QCA Egger Posts: 34
    Options
    Forgot to mention they replaced the dome, didn't just send paint!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Fun memories.

Yup, been there, done that. My wife and I made and sold a lot of white porcelain statues as well as Lladro type pieces (Victory Molds with Spanish Paint), which reminds me I need to put all that stuff along with the kilns up for sale.

GG