Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vacuum sealers--which is best?

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading the forum for awhile and seeing how many of you use and love your vacuum sealers, we are thinking of getting one. A trip to Wally World showed us this is harder than it sounds. They ran the gamut from $40 to $140. Do any of you have any recommendations? It would sure be appreciated.

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    check cabela's if you can find a refurb in the bargain cave you can save a ton of money and get a commercial grade sealer.... i have the cg 15.... paid 150 in the "bargain cave".... i had a couple of the homeowner models over the years.... they never lasted very long.... be sure to watch the video demo on their site.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Rosalie

I have a FoodSaver and love it. Is it the best? I don't know, it's the only one I have ever used. Around here it is also the easiest to find rolls of bag material for.

FoodSavers are impossible to find on sale (having said that someone is going to prove me wrong, LOL). What I learned here on the forum is that if you go to the Bed, Bath and Beyonds Email and Direct Mail Sign Up page . Sign up for both email and direct mail. (I have not been inundated buy junk mail or emails from them). First time email subscribers get a 20% off one item in-store Savings Certificate. This is emailed to you when you sign up and you have to print it. I used this to purchase my FoodSaver. Email coupons are usually good for on line purchases and direct mail coupons are "in store". I recently received a flier (direct mail) from BB&B that had a $5 coupon on it, I used it to buy bag material, it was about 25% of the cost. I also buy bag material at Sam's Club. I think the last box I bought was $39.99 for 5 rolls 8" and 11" wide and 20 one gallon premade bags.

I am single and can take advantage of the prices at the club stores like Sam's by repackaging to sizes that suit my needs. I can individually package steaks and when I defrost them they are as good as when they went into the freezer.

Good luck,

Gator

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I have a Food Saver for which I paid approximately $80. I have been very satisfied. However, they have a new one that retails for $173 that stands vertical (V3840). If you can't find the CG-15 from Cabela's for $150, I'd look to see if I could get that one for around $100. Do not go too cheap. I don't think you will like the headaches.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I bought the cheapest foodsaver they sold at Target ($40). The locking mechanism broke the third time I used it. My fault I was to rough with it. I called customer service to order the part and they did not sell it alone. I told them what happened, they sent me a whole new unit at no charge. They no longer sold the one I bought so they sent me a Gamemaster Plus model. I like it a lot and would recommend it. There customer service is great and still in the US. (you don't have to talk to someone that took a week long english class in India)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I bought a Food Saver shortly after they first came out. I'm sure that was more than 20 years ago. I'm still using it. Works great !! I'd go with a Food Saver if I were you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ms.
    Ms. Posts: 145
    Options
    I have a Food Saver. It is my second vaccuum sealer.

The first one I had as a X'mas gift, in an exchange, so I don't believe it was very costly, but it wasn't worth anything either. :laugh:

I bought the Food Saver two years ago, just before they got the new standing model out. :pinch:

Well, aside from the fact that my Food Saver doesn't work standing up, I am very happy with the results. The bags are solide, and using it is a breeze.
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    My favorite is a Food Saver from COSTCO - not only is it a great machine but Costco has a no-questions-asked return policy...even after several years of use. I've learned the hard way that buying appliance from there is well worth a few dollars on a sale price. Believe it or not Food Savers are occasionally on sale at Costco. (no, I don't work FOR them but do work there as a food demonstrator ;-))

PS I look for bargains in bags online. Prefer the roll, it's cheaper and I can make any size bag I want.
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    I use the Food Saver. They work great and are easy to use. I dont bother to re-use the bags like they suggest.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I got whichever FoodSaver model Costco had at the time. I paid right about $100 for it and have been very happy with it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have the Weston PRO-2300 (OEM version of the Cabela's CG-15). Love it, though it does take up a lot of space. If I had to store it and take it out every time I wanted to seal something, it would never get used. But it does suck!!

4291136941_e6d6db83c2_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut