Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Earth Boxes... Ants

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in Off Topic
well i have 4 earth boxes i went to get them ready for another year of producing veggies. one of them have some fire ants in them. what is a safe way to get rid of them without harming any future crop?

i usually use over and out on the rest of the yard but was kinda worried about using it in my earthboxes...

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Boiling water (but you have to hit the queen or they'll just come back) or mix up a lye solution and pour on the nest.
  • BENTE
    Options
    how do i know i do that?

btw good to see you feilding questions again instead of stirrong the pot of $h!t :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Boiling water does work...and like Terry says...if you don't get the Queen...those Bastards will usually be back.

You'll notice the Queen is the one with the entorag'e...and a small bejewelled crown about her head!

On a more serious note...getting them, (your Boxes) a couple feet off the ground will help as they, (the aformentioned "Bastards") like to stay in cool, dark surroundings...
    and if given a choice will not forrage long out in the daylight/ hot sunlight!

Just make it a bit tougher for them to get to the boxes.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BENTE
    Options
    Thanks Pal i will look for her hieness tomorrow. if that does not work i found This but is seems pretty expensive :pinch:

i will look into finding a way to elevate them ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Terry

I also treat the whole lawn but I use a product that I get from any hardware store for mounds. Dust the "Bastards" (Chubby's accurate description of them :) ) one day and they are gone the next. Here is a photo of it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A0UCRG?tag=httpwwwboring-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000A0UCRG&adid=1VH824KVQR4HBMC20T7Z&

Couple alternatives:

WEED BURNER :evil: or

Indirect at 350 with DP DD for about 30 minutes :)
  • BENTE
    Options
    i like the spectraside once and done i have tried othere but it keeps them away the best plus it goes in my lawn spreadder

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb