Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Cracking in Two

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a LBGE that I bought about 4 years ago. I noticed the other day that it seems to be cracking in half. The crack is visible from the inside as well as from the outside, so it goes all the way through. I keep waiting for it to just crumble while cooking on it. I'm sure this isn't normal but does this happen much? I'm pretty pissed. Unfortunately, I bought this online right before they came out with the edict that they won't warranty such purchases. (as if that would cause it crack 4 years later).
GBpsK.jpg
MJBNq.jpg

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    FWIW, yes I had that happen to me. My dealer replaced it under warrantee. I don't know what caused it. Sorry to hear about this...
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edbro,

I have had that happen to me and it was warranty. I just sent the pictures to BGE Canada and they sent a replacement. I can't tell from the pictures but mine and a few others posted here seemed to start on the corner of the lower vent. I kept cooking on mine until the new base arrived but you should have a good look at what would happen if it broke apart while burning. Maybe move it to a grassy area away from combustibles.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I haven't been an egghead long enough to know when they stopped covering online purchases, but if they did do so when you bought yours, you might try contacting BGE. If there was a time when they did warrant online purchases, I would think it would be covered. Worth a phone call anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Your problem could be caused by the base of the egg resting on the head of the bolt that holds the two cross braces of the nest together. Looks like your crack runs right across that bolt. That pressure would lead to a crack. I think this was fixed with newer nests, but the earlier models didn't allow that bolt to recess enough for adequate clearance.

I believe it was Bente that had that happen a couple years ago.

I would call the mothership and inquire.....what's the worst that can happen?
  • edbro
    I just ran out back and checked. The egg is not resting on that bolt. There is a bit of clearance there.

This egg has been a very expensive venture. Beyond the price of the egg, I've had to purchase another firebox and 2 of the bottom metal grates that hold the lump. Not to mention numerous gaskets.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    That's why I will never buy another used egg. The warranty is essential.

I bought my first egg (XL) used, and it had a crack in the base, so the owner agreed to replace the base before I bought it. He also had the firering and firebox replaced, as both were cracked. Within 6 months, the new base cracked (after a 750F cook), as well as cracks in the new firering and firebox (not all at the same time). I have been using it cracked, but I got costs on a new base, firering, and firebox from BGE, and it will be cheaper to buy a new XL, so that's what I'll do once I can get the new dome style. They did say that if you buy just the base, the base is under warranty, as you bought it new from BGE.

My medium now has cracks in the firering and firebox, but I am fine with that, as they are under warranty.

Long story short - the warranty is too valuable to buy an egg used. At least in my experience.

Richard
  • I've replaced a couple of those for my customers under warranty. Give mothership a call.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Here is the way mine looks after 5yrs of use. I'm still cooking on it and I did get a new base that was covered by the warranty.

CrackinBGE.jpg

Good luck

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl
  • edbro
    Actually, I think the nest is what is holding both of ours together.
  • I would definitely call the mothership for warranty replacement.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Steve,

Or closer the house, depending on your situation. :P

you proly don't see soo much funny in that. :pinch:
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Wow! I've sold hundreds and never seen that!