Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First timer recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from BBQ galore and will have a shinney new BGE dilivered on Friday, just in time for fathers day. Can any one suggest a first timer recipe. Thanks Bob

Comments

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Options
    Bob Cartwright,[p]the first thing I cooked on my BGE was a hamburger just to see what all the fuss was about. After I ate it I understood what all the fuss was about. To do a regular hamburger, just get the BGE to 400º. Cook the burgers for four minutes on one side (dome closed). Open the dome and cook the burgers four minutes on the other side (dome closed). Then flip the burgers again. and close up your bottom vent and your daisy wheel up top. Let the burgers cook another 4 minutes (4-4-4, get it...). Here's the tricky part. Before you open the dome this last time, pull the daisy wheel off the dome. let the fumes vent out the top. Then very cautiously lift the dome open. Maybe open it a 1/2 inch. sometimes seriously hot flames will come out. This is a flashback ans id you want to know more about it go to the naked whiz' website. Anyway, that's the standard way to cook burgers (assuming the patties are an inch thick or thicker). [p]the alternative is to try chicken. (see the recipe section).
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bob Cartwright,[p]Our first cook was a spatchcock chicken. That's a fancy name for a butterflied chicken. Go to The Naked Whiz's website for specifics on how to cut the chicken, but once it's cut, cook it at 350° direct on a raised grid (but if you don't have anything to raise it, our first wasn't raised) for 1 hr. It's the most juicy, tasty chicken you'll ever eat...our first was seasoned with Tony Chachare's seasoning, but you could use most anything you have in the pantry...[p]spatchcock-chick.jpg[p]Tonia
    :~)

• BUBBA
    BUBBA Posts: 16
    Options
    QBabe,
    For giggles and grins, this describes how juicy it can be

[ul][li]Just how juicy is Spatchcocked chicken?[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bob Cartwright,[p]AS other suggest spatchcock chicken is very good indeed... Did you get the grid extender (grill grate w/ legs)? If so, I actually think an easier cook is pork tenderloin (or a pair of 'em) .... basically rub em up, cook on a raised grid @ 350 for 15 per side (I cook them to 145-150 internal but it almost always is 15 min per side), serve with your favorite Q sauce...[p]Oh and when cooking at temps over 350 or so do watch out for flashback... or you will lose al the hair off your arm and maybe your eyebrows... no joke.[p]Cheers, [p]Brian