Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about fire?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It never fails that on low and slow I can't get my temp to raise any higher after the 16 - 18 hour mark.[p]Is it possible that in the process of trying to get the temp to go down that one can smolder it too long that results in the fire going out?[p]Usually I will have some lump left around the edges but it will be gone in the middle.[p]Now I can take the butt off start again and the butt tastes good but I would like to avoid that task.[p]Any suggestions?

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Deetwood,
    How full are you filling your firebox with lump? Where are you starting the fire at (i.e. front, center, back) in the fire box?

• Unknown
    Options
    Deetwood, The whole key to a low and slow is to use enough lump. You should fill it to the top of the fire box at least or even 2 or 3 inches up into the fire ring. The other
    important thing is to never over shoot your temp. If you want to cook at 220 for 20 hours don't start your fire and get it too hot and go to 300 or 400 and then try to back it down to 200. You need to carefully creap your temp up to 200 with out overshooting. The last thing is to just light one spot, I light on the side for low and slows and in the middle for every thing else. Many here light in the middle for low and slows which also works, it's a personel preference deal I think. Filling the fire box up with plenty of lump and not overshooting the temp is what I feel are the most important things when doing a low and slow.

• Deetwood
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]I fill about to the top of the fire bowl, and light in in a circle in the middle not exceeding the diameter of an orange for example. I put the biggest chunks in the middle like Elder Ward suggest.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Deetwood,
    "It never fails that on low and slow I can't get my temp to raise any higher after the 16 - 18 hour mark."
    Are you talking about the internal meat temp or ate you talking about the dome temp?
    I load my large Egg to half way up the fire ring. I also layer the charcoal like Elder Wards suggests. Larger chunks on the bottom smalledt on the top. I light in only one place and in the center. I watch the temp edge up ans when it gets to about 200º is when I begin to ease the lower vent closed. Ultimately, the opening on the lower vent is about the thickness of a credit card. The daisy is set so Im just gettin air flow through from the bottom. You can vack the daisy to almost fully clised and you'll see smoke start to come out of the lower vent then I just ease it open enough so the smole is coming out of the daisy.
    At the enf of every long cook I'll have enough lump left for at least two more cooks. And, yes, all I have is mostly lump around the edges but still enough for a couple of quick steaks or chops. Hope some of this helps.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Deetwood,
    For an alternative view of starting an overnighter, you might read about how I did it on my first overnighter. I didn't plan it that way, but dang if it didn't work real good![p]TNW

[ul][li]My First Time..... (no it ain't adult reading material....)[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I'll email you Elder Wards word doc is you want.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I think you are doing everything almost right. I would suggest a few minor changes. 1) Add lump to halfway up the fire ring. (A inch or so past the top of the firebox). 2) Light one area in the back center of the fire box (about 2inches off the edge). Some will disagree with me on this, but I think it allows the fire to burn in and around the firebox. 3) The larger pieces need to be on the bottom of the firebox resting on the iron grate. I don't sort all the lump by size. I do try to put the larger chunks on the bottom and build up with the smaller ones. [p]Here is a cavet though...I have had my egg for 6 months or so, but have done a dozen or so low and slows without a fire going out. If someone sees something wrong in this message let me know so we can all improve.

• Sundown
    Options
    Oh Nekkid One,[p]I read about your first time and it isn't all that much different from Elder Wards suggetions. As you have so poetically pointed out, it's a Zen thing, the Way of the Tao.
    You have a great site.

• Deetwood
    Options
    Whiz-[p]I didn't realize one could go that high up I've never got close to the bottom of the fire ring.[p]That's probably my problem.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Sundown,
    What was different was pouring a chimney full of rocket hot coals on top of the prepared fire. That fire was STARTED! It might go out from inattention or some other fault, but not because if inadequate starting. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Deetwood,
    No one has mentioned that the brand of Lump, and if it was fresh (no previous cooks) will make a difference....I have had the problem you describe a couple of times. Same result with, no lump left, and I always fill it to the max. [p]I find the easiest "fix" is to just move the butt into the house, and finish in the oven at your chosen temp. Blasphemy perhaps, but the butt has absorbed all the smoke it needs at this point, and it's just a matter of finishing it off. Wrap in tin foil and let it go.[p]I just did 2 cooks (3 hrs at 325) The first one had "used lump", and I added mostly (my favorite) Maple Leaf. I was amazed afterwards that there was nothing left. Second night I loaded with all fresh, 1/2 Maple Leaf, and the other half was the long burn favorite...Wicked Good. The firebox is still half full. Quite the difference. [p]Mike in MN

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Deetwood,
    On the few I have done, I dump the lump (BGE) unsorted to the top of the fire box, light with a mapp gas torch in 3 spots triangular, and away it goes. No problem yet.