Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Needed

Options
BADaQ
BADaQ Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I get a kit?

Comments

• BADaQ
    Options
    THANKS. Thought someone may sell them on the forum.
  • eggfan
    eggfan Posts: 73
    Options
    I just got done putting a rutland on my large. Is curing now. Let yall know how it turns out.
  • BADaQ
    Options
    Thanks. Did you have to remove your lid?
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    You shouldn't need to. You will only need to put it on the base. They are thick enough that you won't need anything on the dome.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Someone does, or did. Ping RRP
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Here is a link to TNW's website that discusses how Rutland doesn't advise using their products on the bge. I realize that this is their way of saving their butt in case something happens down the road, but it does have fiberglass as a main material which can be hazardous. I personally wouldn't have a problem getting one and putting it on my egg if I were the only one eating off it. However, my wife is pregnant with our first child and it got me to thinking. If it even has a microsopic chance of imparting fiberglass into the food my child eats I would have a hard time living with myself wondering if I had somehow imparted potentially dangerous material into her food. Personally, I'd rather use a novex in my situation and possible change it out occasionally, but have peace of mind.

I'm not trying to be the gasket police or even discourage you from using it. I know lots of people use their, love them, and have no problem using it. I mean honestly, the odds of it imparting fiderglass are slim to none, but that being said I wanted to post the link so that you, like others, could make a decision that fits you best..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/gasketsafety.htm
  • BADaQ
    Options
    Thanks. I read that also. seems fishy.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yes, Rutland doesn't recommend it, but they don't say there is any hazard either. If you read the entire web page, essentially the only hazard associated with fiberglass that I could find was if you ingested enough to cause a physical obstruction. You are at far greater risk from cancer associated with grilling than you are in using a rutland gasket, from everything I could find in MSDS's and the websites I reference. Also, if it presents a hazard to anyone in the vicinity of the cooker, it would present the same hazard to anyone using it in its intended use in a wood stove. Of course, everyone has to make their own decisions.
    The Naked Whiz