Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Growing" Crack in LBGE Firebox

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a question. I've had the LBGE for several years, and replaced several of the old fireboxes over time when they cracked and crumbled. Got a new-style firebox on the last go-round, and several months ago I noticed a hair-line crack develop from one of the air holes upward to the rim. Over time the crack has "spread" outward, now to about (+/-) 1/8th an inch. The firebox is still holding, but the crack may or may not have stabilized. Haven't tried to remove the firebox for any kind of egg-maintenance, which can usually determine what happens next anyway -- should it fall apart. What should I do? Try to fill the crack with a high-temp resistant cement, or just hit up BGE for a replacement firebox?

100_1190.jpg

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Please, what do you mean by "new style fire box?" THE very new style fire box now has a slice from top to bottom in the front down to the airway entry point in order to allow the firebox to expand and contract. Is this the new style you are refuring to? Also if you bought your Egg from an Egg dealer it has a lifetime warranty. No prob. On line????sorry. :):) to you.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would just keep cooking on it :whistle: i posted mine back in 2007 when it looked like this, im still cooking on it :laugh:

100_1654.jpg

100_1655.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wazoo
    Options
    BGE had this cracking/crumbling issue with the series of eggs when I got mine back 10 years or so ago. I think about 3 years ago they started putting out eggs with a "newly-designed" firebox using better materials not subject to the old problems -- I read that somewhere.
  • Wazoo
    Options
    Geez, that's some jigsaw puzzle. I wonder if the integrity of the cooking area and the convection effect of the egg is somewhat affected by all those "extra" airways?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you look you will see my lump grate is bigger than standard and has more air holes, it breaths really well. i do cooks in the 900 to 1200 degree range. it doesnt bother the integrity of how it cooks at all. should take it apart and recount the pieces, there has to be more now :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    900 to 1200 range....:)
    What is the cook time on brisket?
    Is that considered hot and fast?
    jon
  • fishlessman
    Options