Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's BGE Dinner: Pizza!

Options
JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our second attempt at BGE Pizza was even better than our first! We made a batch of cheesy garlic sticks and then two pizzas. The bread sticks were gone too fast to get a picture, but I managed to grab the camera and get pictures of the pizzas....

We picked up some prepared pizza dough from Publix, added some low sodium pizza sauce, and lots of toppings. Got the BGE up to 550 degrees with the plate setter (legs down), the BGE feet, and the pizza stone on top. We slid the pizza (with parchment paper underneath) on and let it grill for about 10 minutes.

Here is the first pizza...
DSC05423.jpg

While we were eating the first pizza, the second one was grilling. Here's the second pizza...
DSC05425.jpg

DSC05426.jpg
I'm looking forward to left over pizza tomorrow for lunch!

We have a whole week of meals planned out on the BGE to get us psyched up for Eggfest this weekend! :cheer:

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    wow does that look good. Does the bottom get very dark?
    I will try to make some pizza this week
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Looks great. I really love pizza on the egg.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    Great looking pies. Love the way the cheese browned up nice too. By the way I use the Publix dough too. How long did you cook them for at 550?
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Nope, the bottom was perfect! On the second pizza, we pulled it off the grill before the top was perfect so that it didn't get too dark. I turned the broiler on for a minute or two to make the top nice and pretty.

Our first attempt at BGE Pizza taught us to check the bottom of the crust and pull it off a little earlier than you'd think. We had VERY crisp crust the first time. It was good, but so crisp it wasn't as tasty as these were.

Julie
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Usually 8-10 minutes is perfect, but I made these crusts a little thicker than normal, so we left them on a couple extra minutes. Just keep an eye on the bottom of the crust and pull it when it looks a nice brown color. Even if you have to put it in the oven under the broiler for a minute to get the top of pizza to brown, pull it before the bottom gets too dark.

The bread sticks were the same dough, with a few sprays of the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, an entire head of pressed fresh garlic, and then I topped it with shredded mozarella and Parmesan cheese.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    They look great!! Welcome!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mr. JBUG99999
    Options
    Yea know, I never imagined that I would have this much fun appling heat to my wife's wonderful creations. But I can tell ya this, I'm looking forward to a weeks worth of BGE dinners! :woohoo:

Fire! Fire! Fire!

K (aka Mr. JBUG99999)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Very nice!

Pizzas are one of the hardest things for me to get just right. Yours look perfect! Like the browned toppings! ;)
  • op2k
    op2k Posts: 62
    Options
    Wow! Those pies look awesome! So I take it that the Publix dough isn't too bad then? I've been thinking of trying some for my next pizza cook.
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thank you!
    I've been reading and learning from the Forum for a while, but tonight's my first post! :)
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thanks! The Publix dough is pretty good, reasonably priced, and exceptionally convenient. I keep thinking I will make homemade dough, but you can't beat the Publix dough for saving time. Heck, it's probably cheaper than making it from scratch too!

Julie
  • These look great! I can't wait to tackle pizza!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Julie! looks great from here :) we use the Publix dough also when we are down here for the winter. but give Zippies dough a shot to make. very easy and my fav for flavor. I do a big batch and freeze it then it is ready when I am. in the sink in cold water and it thaws by the time the toppings are ready almost. see you this weekend :) looks like we are going to have a lost of Julie's and Julia's LOL
  • Mr. JBUG99999
    Options
    Mainegg wrote:
    but give Zippies dough a shot to make.
    Do you have a link to the recipe by any chance or is it in a cookbook?