Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is Grill Dome?

Options
2»

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with you Julie -- but in this particular instance, where was the BGE "bashed" by anyone?

This sort of product pushing happens in retail all the time. Lead the customer to a certain product. Margin enhancement.....manufacturer bonuses......it is how business works.

Simply highlighting one product is not bashing the other.
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    The only problem with this analogy is that unlike the Grill Dome, Honda has the superior product.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I think you may have just committed blasphemy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think you are right about Hondas being superior to Harleys, but still, you can't say something like that around people who ride Harleys. You could hurt their feelings and make them get tears on their embroidered vests. :( :lol::lol::lol:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    You are right I re read the original post and paid attention LOL not really bashing persay. in my case of the three Cutters I was talking about the low end one is my best mark up. the the high end is really the "caddy" of the cutters and my fav LOL I make almost nothing on it but it is one of the staple tools of the trade and if they invest in that they are in it big time and will be back for other things :) if I do my job right B) A good Hooker knows her products :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    the funny things with Bikers of any bike, well cept the rice burners, is if we are out riding in the Cobra we get thumbs up every time from them and the Harley's almost always slow and look it over. So Neil calls it his 4 wheeled Harley since bikes are out of our life forever.
  • coors927
    coors927 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi my name is Danny I just joined this forum. I do not own egg but I do own a grill dome and Trager. I love both. The reason I do not own the egg is I went with the Dome over the egg. Both cost the same. Thr egg dome has a thicker ceramic inside allowing it to cook for excess of 20 hrs on a slow cook. I have a friend that has a Egg and a trager and the egg has some great food but the dome cooks just a little moisture. There is one draw back to the dome,a few of these have to go back the paint outside of the grill bubbles due to applying it with wet ceramics. But they are guranteed for life and Grill dome will replace the whole unit they did mine. The egg is made in Mexico the dome in India. They are very close and it is a matter of preference. Will let you know I was told bt a green egg dealer that the egg will be coming out with a dome like the dome. Grill dome has given the egg a lot of compentation. Either \ way the Egg and dome out cook anything else out there and a whole lot better that the Treager
  • BGE dealers are not allowed to sell any other brand of ceramic. Dealer agreement
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I agree with you Julie -- but in this particular instance, where was the BGE "bashed" by anyone?

This sort of product pushing happens in retail all the time. Lead the customer to a certain product. Margin enhancement.....manufacturer bonuses......it is how business works.

Simply highlighting one product is not bashing the other.

My point exactly..

So the salesman can't have an opinion?

I could see if he was saying "the egg is a piece of junk", or something along those lines.

But if someone walks in, and asks about product x vs product y, and the guy illustrates the differences(which happen to be positive for one)and even inserts his preference, i dont see an issue with that.

I used to be in sales, and people would ask me all the time my preference on certain products. I would give them "what i would buy" or "why i like this, over that", and let them decide. Not because i made more to sell one then the other, because i wanted my customers to get the product that was the best fit for what they wanted.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    preflop forgot password wrote:
    BGE dealers are not allowed to sell any other brand of ceramic. Dealer agreement

I have seen quite a few selling multiple ceramics.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    .....that just aint true at all...
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    coors927 wrote:
    I have a friend that has a Egg and a trager and the egg has some great food but the dome cooks just a little moisture.

I have no doubt that great food comes off all those cookers, but there is no way to demonstrate the myth that the GD leaves more moisture in the food. I saw the youtube video from bbqguys (or something like that) where they cook a rack of ribs or equal weight each in the BGE and the GD and conclude at the end that since the GD cooked ribs weighed more, the GD is a gentler cooker. It was a total BS marketing gimmick.

Mark
  • WessB
    Options
    top half equals grill/egg dome ..lower half equals grill/egg base...I'm sure you have seen mention of the "dome" thermometer..
  • Lanier Jim
    Lanier Jim Posts: 505
    Options
    Grill Dome is a very nice cooker and they will stand behind their product. Primo is another very nice cooker and stand behind their product. BGE is a very nice product and stand behind their product. All 3 are a stones throw from each other and I've visited all three places when we were looking.

Wife wanted a Red Grill Dome...I liked the Egg. We got the Egg and I haven't heard a single complaint of the food that has come off it...but I have been asked several times if we could paint it red so it would match our Red Weber Gasser.

Well - I have compromised...yep - I have agreed to paint the Weber Green if that would make things match on the deck! :)

Now - she's looking at new outdoor furniture for the deck and it better be RED or I'll paint that sh*t green too! :laugh:

That is all -

LJ
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I don't see why we would need to be sensitive about our cooker brand. My egg is awesome, their grill dome is awesome too. I was going to get a grill dome, but an egg came up on craigs list first. Primos, eggs, grill domes, I am so glad we have options. Competition is just going to make it better for us as consumers. Still waiting for this thread to get nuked, it's coming ... :lol:
  • coors927
    coors927 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey everyone I am not trying to bash the egg I was simply addressing this forum as to what is a Grill Dome. The Egg is a excellent cooker.The difference is ones choice. I could have bought a EGG but I decided on the Dome. These units cost as much as the EGG and the fellow that sold it to me carries both grills. So it was my preference. He aslo cooks on both and pefers the dome. There are some better features on the Egg over the dome and some on the dome over the Egg. I have had some replies about the video comparing both grills. This add if pushing the dome so there will be a big difference in each unit especially if the add pushes the dome. Also had one comment about the thermometer I do not know what the problem is with this but I use a dual thermometer. I do hope everyone knows there is a difference between the grate temp and the thermometer temp. Also the point of cooking and moisture the Dome grate sits one inch higher off the grate than the Egg that is where the difference if any comes in. Maybe we could all find out if we let all the ceramic grill companies actually use these grills in a cook off.This seems to a great forum not matter what grill you have. Plenty of good recipies and info in here.I do have one question will the Egg cook for 20-24 hrs without adding Lump Charcaol?
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    Well said Jabinns.I had both cookers.I ended up getting rid of one because I also have a weber kettle with the rotisserie.I just didn't need three grills.I sold the egg.I got great stuff off all three.All three are great cookers.I just liked the GD better and love my kettle with the smokenator and rotisserie.
  • Coors, the answer to your last question is yes. I have done numerous 20 hour cooks which all begin with a filled firebox. After the cook is complete & the air is cut off, there is typically what appears to be 1/2 of the original lump left, after knocking off the ash & stirring everything around, I will usually get another several cooks (quick, higher temperature grilling) out of that left over lump. Although I have never had the need to go past 20 hours straight, I imagine from what I have seen left over that the egg could easily surpass 24 hours (assuming you are talking about low & slow temps, 200-250 range...)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    coors 927 wrote:
    I do have one question will the Egg cook for 20-24 hrs without adding Lump Charcaol?

Yes, it will. Or longer if needed.
  • im just going by what our distributor rep told us. A dealer in our town got the egg yankd out there store for selling another brand. i guess its different in different regions?
  • WessB
    Options
    That could very well be also...