Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese question

Options
Leggo My Eggo
Leggo My Eggo Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a pizza using fresh dough the other night and although the crust around the edge browned nicely, the middle of the pizza was slightly soft and chewey almost like it was uncooked all the way through.

So the wife brings home a buboli crust tonight and I made virtually the same pizza but this time did it in my oven. Came out pretty much the same way as the fresh dough pizza did on the egg.

Here's the kicker, on both pie's I used fresh mozzarella cheese which I noticed seems to have a higher moisture content then the shredded stuff that comes in the bag which seems more dry. Anyone run into this using fresh mozzarella?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always slice the fresh mozz ahead of time and lay the slices out on paper towels, then cover with more towels. That seems to get rid of the excess moisture.

And tell your wife to stop buying Boboli!!!! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    Haven't thought about using paper towels, I should probably give that a try.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'll be surprised how wet those towel will be. Really.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Buy mozz at the deli counter. It is much better than the bagged stuff but not as wet as the fresh stuff. The wet fresh mozz will give you puddles sometimes if you cook a pie hot and fast.

I have some sliced for the bottom layer and then shred some to sprinkle over the toppings. Works well, melts quickly, browns nicely, tastes heavenly, and gives that stringy pull you can't get from the bagged stuff, which is coated with corn starch or other non-clumping/non-caking agents - like kitty litter is.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    Thanks Fidel. I did have a problem with the puddling as you call it. Had to sop up some of that extra liquid with paper towels. I'll try the deli next time.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Fresh, as you call it, will always be a lot more moist and will give a very creamy appeal to the pie.
    I bake at a lower temp then most here, with a temp of around 450 F.
    I tend to make for thick pies (a lot of veggies) and I feel this lower temp “bakes off” a lot of the moisture, but it really all depends upon the toppings, the base sauce and even the crust.
    Also a good rule of thumb...Even though it may NOT be what we think of as how to assemble a pizza pie; the toppings go on top of the cheese...Yes, we may want a bit of the cheese on top too, but the cheese is the base, not the topping!
    When doing a pie with a fresh cheese, also remember to slice VERY thinly! This helps with that “too much” moisture thing.
    I like the idea of the paper towels, BTW!! And I do think that freezing cheese dries it out some too. Not that I would want to eat dry, crumbly cheese on a cracker, but on a pie? Yes!