Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing of a full meal on the egg

Options
Big E3
Big E3 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, still learning on my egg. I want to cook a full meal on my egg. I want to have steak, baked potato, aspargus or mixed vegetables. How do you time all this and the food still be warm. Do you heat up the egg indirect and bake your potatos for an hour, then pull off the plate setter and heat it up to cook steaks direct and while the grill is heating up cook your vegetables? Or do I cook potatos in oven? and grill the rest?

Thanks for any help?

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    First, you don't need the platesetter in to be cooking indirect. I have a small pizza stone that I use in the large on top of the grate for a combo. You could use an inverted loaf pan or anything to get the potatoes up off the fire. Once I put the ceramic cap in (in a pinch) to reheat a foil pouch and keep the bottom of it from burning).

Someone with much more experience at this kind of thing will come on, cuz my critical thinking slowed down when I purchased the mini for exactly what your talking about.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I personally would bake the potatoes (no foil) in the Egg to get a nice crispy skin coated with salt and pepper. You can use the plate setter legs down. I usually do baked potatoes for 1 hour at 400. They will of course stay hot for a long time, so you can then crank up the temps and do the rest. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    as TNW said, bake the tater indirect or direct... I often make rosemary garlic taters in a foil pouch, and about 25 minutes in I throw on the broccoli in a pouch (with EVOO and Fred's Treehugger Veggie Blend), pull everythign off, bump the temps the last 5 minutes, pull the veggies, sear the steaks and wham, we eat.

trying to get away from taters these days - cant stand sweet potatoes so brown rice does it in a pinch
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No reason why you can't cook the potatoes direct.
    Also, cooking complete meals and the timing of such is one reason many of us have multiple eggs.

Ron
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or, an egg and an oven. :) Put the potatoes in the oven, or as I usually do, in the microwave. Do the asparagus on the egg while the steak is roasting at 400. Asparagus is much better grilled... potatoes? Not so much.

Am I going to be banned now? :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Or maybe do them in the fireplace. :ohmy:
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    How about this:

Microwave the baked potatoes first, then rub w/ olive oil, salt & pepper. Finish the potatoes direct on the grid to crisp up the skin at the same time you sear the steaks and asparagus.

It would use a lot less lump than baking the potatoes at 400 for an hour on the egg, but I bet the flavor is the same. I haven't actually tried to cook potatoes this way, but it seems like a no-brainer. I think I just figured out what to cook tomorrow ...

-Kevin