Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe the wrong egg

Options
thechief96
thechief96 Posts: 1,908
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed that there is not much info on the XL Egg. I am looking for some plans for a table but they are for the other sizes. I also want to know if the assembley to get the top and bottom aligned is really that difficult because mine sure didn't align and of course the gasket has melted a little.
Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney

Comments

• florida Nick
    Options
    Straight from the BigGreenEgg website
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/pdf/tableplansXL.pdf

Good luck
  • Marty4UT
    Options
    At the top of the page under Forums, click on EGG Table Forums. look at the post from Asiaflava. That appears to be an XL in a table. May you can contact them and get the hole size.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm a newbie here too. Can't help you with the table, but I can tell you what helped me getting my dome aligned during assembly on my large. Before I tightened the band for the dome, I visually checked for alignment then with the daisy wheel removed I stuck my hand in through the top and felt all the way around to see if the dome felt like it was evenly aligned. If it's out of alignment anywhere I would just hit it a little with the side of a fist just enough to get it to slide a little. Of course, this may be a little easier done on a large.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have an XL and don't have a problem with the alignment.

Make sure your bands are tight against the lip. In this pic they are not.
    101_2613640x480.jpg

I loosened the band bolts, reversed a clamp, and then tightened the bolts.
    101_2462640x480.jpg

You may have to get creative as you go around the base and dome to get the bands snug.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Make sure you think about how you want the the hinge to clear the table.

Do you want it to operate over the top of the table?
    Do you want it to operate into a slot in the table?
    Do you want it to operate over the back of the table?

I chose to have it operate over the back of the table.
    101_1742640x480.jpg

I would also double check the height measurements that are recommended on the BGE plan - I didn't use them.
  • asianflava
    Options
    Yes I made my table for an XL, I used these plans as a giude http://www.biggreenegg.com/pdf/tableplansXL.pdf but I didn't follow them. The only information I used was the 26.25in hole diameter (which is correct).
    IMG_3244%20%28Small%29.jpg

It says that the bottom shelf should be 12.5in from the top. Mine is 13in from the tabletop to the paver stone but I had to cut a notch in the table top. It should be about 11in to clear the hinge. I spaced it up quite a bit to make the bottom shelf more usable.

As for dome alignment, It was far easier for me to align the XL than it was for the L. I assembled both my eggs I bought the XL first. Even though I did the XL twice before (once when I got it and once when I put it in the table), it took a good 45min of fiddling with the L to get it aligned. Before I put the XL in the table, I did a high temp clean (600+ for 2 hrs) that burnt up my gasket. It was easy to put the new on because I already removed the dome in preperation to put it in the table.
    BGE%20table%20notch.jpg