Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No beer-can chicken?

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don"t do beer, but what mixture can i put in a can to do chicken? I was told i could use 1/2 coke and 1/2 bbq sauce.

Need suggestions please, thanks...

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Forget the beer...Spatchcock it. Your favorite rub...good to go!! Literally, just cut out the BACK bone (Not the breast bone...) Open the bird up, rub and go! No beer, or messy beer butt can thing needed. Do indirect at 400*, or direct raised 400* flipping a couple times. It will be the best bird you've had!
  • sirlancealot
    Options
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    You can use what ever tickles your fancy as the liquid. Steve Raichlen has a book just about beer can chicken and most recipes don't use beer. I have used lemonade and/or white wine with good results.

I have yet to try a Spatchcocked approach...
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Instead of a beer can I used an opened soup can, filled it halfway with apple juice. Rubbed the bird inside and out with some spices and cooked indirect at 400. Turned out great, very juicy.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    When I want to do a bunch of chicken I simply use water in the can but for one or two spatchcock is the way to go.

IMG_2981800x600.jpg

IMG_0896800x600.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I cooked beer can chicken once when I first got my egg. But since then I have found no need to do it. The beer can approach (with whatever liquid) is great for oven and non-egg grills that tend to dry out chicken, but with the egg chicken turns out so moist, there is no need for the liquid (can or a drip pan). I never noticed any recognizable flavor enhancement from the liquid.

Spatchcocked, like LC mentioned, gives a juicy, evenly cooked bird every time!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think it is more trouble than it is worth unless you need to do vertical chickens to get more birds on the cooker. You might find this interesting:

Beer Can Chicken
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    a quarter can of ginger ale, some freshly chopped ginger, maybe some lemon thyme. tsunami spin for the rub. i like spatchcocked birds but like the beer can presentation at times, especially when fitting a couple chickens in an egg at one time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it