Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Kitchenaid models

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife wants a stand mixer for her birthday, and I have been reading up on the various models all evening.

Costco has a Costco only model (KG25H3XLS) for $279. It is a 5 qt model with a 475 watt motor. Nearest I can tell, the 6 qt Pro series 620 is around $350, and has a 575 watt motor.

My wife does lots of breads, muffins, cookies, etc. She likes to do large batches.

If anyone has any insight as to whether the 6xx series is worth the extra $75, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    I believe (but you would have to confirm this) that the Pro 6 series is the only one using metal gears these days.

If that is the case, it would be worth it to me. The mixer is a near-lifetime purchase. I have a 24 year old, 300 watt, 4.5 quart tilt head model with metal gears that it still going strong.

BTW, the wattage is how much power the mixer's motor uses, which doesn't necessarily translate into how powerful it is. It's just a marketing ploy to make you think one mixer is better than another.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    You might also want to research the Kenwood/Viking (possibly DeLonghi) mixer. These are all made by the same company. It's the mixer sold by King Arthur Flour and while it doesn't have the available attachments that the Kitchenaid does (food mill, meat grinder, etc.), it seems to be a very good choice for bakers.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Bash
    Thanks, Michelle.

From what I could gather, the Costco model is better than the Artisan series (475 watts, metal gears), but who knows.

I'll keep reading - just wanted to check on the collective knowledge of the egg nation. ;)
  • Bash
    Thanks - I'll look it up. I appreciate the tip.
  • mkc
    Richard,

I just did a quick Google search; Delonghi no longer has a mixer under their name but now the Cuisinart looks similar to the Viking/Kenwood.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • I got my wife the 4-1/2 quart mixer for a few reasons: It's very highly rated by every source I've seen, it didn't make sense to pay more for the extra half-quart of capacity of the 5-quart model, and the 6-quart, though it was the size my wife wanted, is so tall it doesn't fit under our cabinetry.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    if available, get the grinding attachment, it's good for fresh burgers......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • i have the smaller one and it was fine when i was just doing cakes. now that i am doing doughs i wish i had the larger one.
  • We have the Kitchen Aid 600 series. It's by far the best imho. Like another poster said, it's the only one with metal gears. If you can swing the extra $, I suggest go for it.
    AB
  • I think that it isn't that they don't use metal gears. It is that some models don't use a metal gearbox. The gears get stressed and warp the plastic gearbox.

Not that it does you any good, but I found a brand new Viking 5qt mixer on craigslist for $160 after debating all the deals including the Costco mixer. It is a great mixer and does have many available attachments. I found the blender attachment online for $25 and the slicer for $50. They sell a meat grinder as well.

One thing to consider about the Costco mixer is that you'll have a "lifetime" warranty available to you.
  • My next mixer will have the spiral dough hook. The "C" hook does not work well for me. Not sure about the first mixer you mentioned, but I believe the Pro models have the spiral hook.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Pro models do come with the spiral hook. We have the Pro 5 plus and have not had any issues with it. been using it for thick and thin doughs.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    I'm on my third KA! The first was a 325 watt version that lasted several years. The second was a 350 watt that burned out soon after starting experimentation with sourdough bread. I now have the Pro 600 version and it's a beauty. Plenty of power! If I had it to do all over, I'd go with the Pro 600 model.....without question!!
  • I had the large Pro Kitchenaid and found out that the transmission gearbox was not built to stand the extra HP from the motor. There was a big stink in the Kitchenaid forums about the plastic cased gearbox they were using. There was some talk about them coming out with a metal cased gearbox, but I do not know if that happened.

I replaced the unit with a Viking and have not looked back. Since then, I have started getting into sourdoughs and such, and have put the Viking thru much rougher service than the ol' Kitchenaid. I think I paid $350 or $400 for the Viking.

The toughest mixer out there in the 5 qt class is the Hobart N50. It is ugly, very tough, and will last several lifetimes. I couldn't seem to part with $1400 to get one of those, however.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    What is a decent price for the 600 series?
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • mkc
    BigGreenDon wrote:
    I had the large Pro Kitchenaid and found out that the transmission gearbox was not built to stand the extra HP from the motor. There was a big stink in the Kitchenaid forums about the plastic cased gearbox they were using. There was some talk about them coming out with a metal cased gearbox, but I do not know if that happened.

Something I've read on several other boards, and Peter Reinhart brought it up in a class of his I took early this month - if one uses any Kitchenaid for yeast dough at speeds higher than "2", it voids the warranty.

I didn't realize there were attachments for the Viking.... If they come out with pasta rollers I *might* consider trying to kill my KSM90.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • I have a 5 qrt that I got for a gift about 4 years ago.
    It has worked great for breads, and pizza dough.I use it for grinding meats and shreading cheese too.
    A word about Cuisinart..They aren't the same company they used to be.
  • Bash
    It is hard to tell. From multiple sources, it seems the Costco model is all metal, not plastic.

From the KitchenAid blog:

"...you will not find the KG25H3X model on our website, because it is a store exclusive model, only available at select Costco and Sam's Club stores. It is most similar to the KV25G0X model, which you can view at this link:

http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=standmixers&T1=KTA+KV25G0XBU

The main difference is that the model above has a wide mouth bowl, and the KG25 model has a narrow bowl.

KitchenAid Quinn"

That link says:

"450-watts
    Bowl-lift design
    5-quart polished stainless steel wide-mouth bowl with handle
    Direct drive transmission, all-steel gears, and all-metal construction
    Commercial-style motor protection
    Includes Powerknead™ Spiral Dough Hook, flat beater, and stainless steel wire whip"

I assume all metal construction includes the gearbox, but I don't know for sure. You know how marketing types are :)
  • Bash
    Thanks, good idea.
  • Bash
    KitchenAid said the Costco model is like the KV25G0X, which is the Professional 5 Plus Series, with all metal construction. The Costco model's main difference is in the taller bowl.

But it is really hard to know for sure.
  • Bash
    I can't tell on the dough hook. The information on the Costco site says it is a burnished professional dough hook. I did not think to look closely when I was at Costco yesterday. I think I'll call them and ask.

Thanks!
  • Bash
    That's essentially what the Costco model is - the Professional 500 series. It has the dough spiral.
  • Bash
    Thanks for the feedback. I think the Costco model is the Pro 500 series, with a 475 watt motor.

So hard to decide if it is worth another $75 to get to the Pro 600 series.
  • Bash
    I did read about the Hobart N50 last night. That is way out of the range of what I am willing to spend. I looked on eBay, and there was just one, and it was around $1,400 or so. Crazy!
  • Bash
    I see $355 on Amazon.
  • Bash
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback. This forum is amazing.

I feel pretty comfortable that the Costco model is the KitchenAid Pro 500 series, with all metal construction per the KitchenAid site.

At this point I am trying to figure out if the Pro 600 is $75 better than the Pro 500 series (main differences being the motor 575 watts vs 475 watts, and bowl size of 6 qt vs 5 qt)

Again, thanks for all the feedback!
  • cookn biker
    Let me know what you end up getting. I think I'm ready to get one also. Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    From previous discusssions I believe that is the better one. Especially if you are interested in making sausage.
    That is what I'm leaning towards.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bash
    Molly,

We have lots of friends that make all their bread, and they rave about the Electrolux.

Check out this link. It is a $600 mixers, but I've seen nothing but positive comments from users.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/electroluxvideo.html

Richard
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Richard. Although Not sure I needed to see that beautiful machine! Pricey, but I bet it is top of the line without going comercial. Nuther egg or that..you know? :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"