Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how much does it expand?

Options
CJATE
CJATE Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
working with my granite guy to build my egg into a counter top (on my 20' cooking trailer) and he asked a great question.

how much does the egg expand? I don't want it to expand quicker than the granite and go pop.

thoughts?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    If your opening is 1/4 inch bigger all the way around than the EGG, you will be good. Big thing is to avoid heat transfer from the egg to the granite.
  • CJATE
    Options
    well, this is going to be on a trailer, and as I understood it, the egg should hang from the counter top? that will support it better in motion then the stand holding it up from the bottom.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    It would support it better....BUT...
    I wouldn't do it that way!
    Do as Wise One suggests, with clearance between. You can alway shim or wedge it while in motion down the road
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're doing, but I've never heard of hanging an egg from the countertop.

If you have a stone top in contact with the Egg all the way around, the stone will break at some point from the heat.
  • CJATE
    Options
    Flashback Bob wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're doing, but I've never heard of hanging an egg from the countertop.

If you have a stone top in contact with the Egg all the way around, the stone will break at some point from the heat.

Guess I misunderstood the best way to incorporate into a trailer.

I'll keep searching. I assumed this as fact, it's why I asked.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    I always used to hang eggs in tables before the spring assisted bands. Never had a problem and it looked much better.... but, you can't do it with the new bands.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be snippy, I just hadn't heard of doing it that way. I've been Egging for 3 years and I've probably read this forum almost every day of those 3 years (that's kind of scary when I think about it). doesn't mean someone with more experience couldn't chime in and tell you how it's done, but I wanted to throw a flag and let you know you are headed off the reservation.

from a transport point of view I can understand why, and I think it would look better.

The feet under my Egg are chipped from all the wobbling that happened while moving my table in and out of the garage when it was new. (there are a couple of bumps to get over when going in or out.)

Whatever you wind up doing, good luck with it and let us know how it comes out!
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Probably not a good idea to hang it. But if you do, make sure you're leaving room for the hinges to clear the countertop when the dome is opened.