Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Brisket

Options
StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey! First Texas Brisket came out great. 3 hrs uncovered, 2 hrs covered. Knock your socks. The daughter and son-in-law were on it like cuzu up a pine tree. No left overs from a 10 brisket. I managed to 3 slices however. Only problem, need to a better way to light the fire. Maybe Mapp Torch. Any ideas?

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Go to WalMart and get the Green Heat in a bottle. It is great, just don't add it after fire is lit. It can be on fire and you can't see the flame.
    Seth

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Get the MAPP. Its expensive at first when you buy the kit. But refilled bottles are like 7.00. The green stuff is good . I have like 3 bottles of that stuff. I havent used it since I got the Mapp. Oh brace your self for he warnings of explosions with the green stuff. But read the directions. It tells you not to reapply once the fire has been lit.

• StubbyQ
    Options
    What about turning the thing upside down? Won't blow up or something?
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    That's reassuring. I can see the headlines now-Idiot sets self on fire. Have you tried the charcoal chimneys. Where you put in some paper and then the charcoal and light in on fire. Then when it's going good you dump it on the rest of the lump? Don't know how well they would work with lump.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    GreenHeat Gel. Tops in my book.[p]Jim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JSlot, works well. I normally use an electric starter but when I use the GreenGel every now and then. Just remember - do not use this on a fire that seems to just be going slowly. Or if you do, do NOT squirt it directly from the bottle. Squirt a bit on a piece of paper and place on the slowly burning coals where yu need it. It will catch fire QUICKLY.

• Unknown
    Options
    StubbyQ, the greenheat gel is the only way to go...lot's of people have complained about the little holes in their clothing caused by the sparks from the map torch, kinda like when I go to sleep in the lawn chair with my cigar. Besides , you won't find anything easier to use...and it helps me with building the exact kind of fire I need for different type cooks, i.e. want to have a hot fire, fast...just don't put on all your lump until you use a little of the gel in 3 or 4 places and put more lump on that...or, if you want a lo and slow, just put one good dab at the back of the lump right on top...it makes a lot of difference...

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Well, sounds good. I have never heard of it. How does it work. You said it was gel right? I was entertaining the thought of charcoal chimneys, electric starters, etc. Right now I am using those starter cubes, which I am not happy with.
  • JSlot
    Options
    The GreenHeat Gel is available at most Walmart stores. They also sell the GreenHeat cubes.[p]Jim
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    JSlot,[p]You put me onto this green stuff about a month ago and I have been singing praises to you ever since :~)[p]It really works nice and used "properly" is a super option to other methods.[p]Many Thanks again Jim.

• JSlot
    Options
    You are most welcome, Bob. Glad it fit the bill![p]Jim
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    I do not reccommend using paper to light your fire. It is not necessary, and more importantly, it is a freakin mess. Either get the Green goop, or the compressed wood and wax cubes, and pretty much throw it on the lump and open the top and bottom up and let er rip. Just make sure to start to damper it dowm BEFORE you get to your desired cooking temp. Hope this helps.
    Seth

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    How about sterno? Don't know anything about the "green gel" but it sounds like sterno might be the same thing. Of course, it would not match color wise![p]
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    No pretty much most of this board uses it upside down to light the egg. And the guy that built the BBQ Guru is workin on a light stick for mapp gas.