Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another new user

Options
edg1
edg1 Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

Just got my medium egg with cypress table yesterday, trying it for the first time today. I am used to a Weber kettle, so the egg is all new to me. I have a few observations to make.

1) At 200f, it takes a very long time to smoke a chicken breast. Almost 2 hours and it's still not 165f in the meat. I have to leave soon, and I am not sure what to do with the egg. I think that I will leave the chicken on the egg and check it again in about 2 hours. It better be done by then.

I think that part of the problem is that it took me a while to get the temperature correct.

2) For a $600 (SRP) table, I am not impressed. I expected better. Nailed together instead of screwed together, pretty low end in my opinion.

The chicken, while not done, looks good. I am hopeful.

edg

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The bird can be cooked much hotter.
    Congrats on your new Egg.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Watch the video...it gets easier as you go.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    not sure why you are only cooking at 200 - most grill yard birds at 300 to 325. Also you'll want to calibrate your dome thermometer to find out if even your 200 was correct. Welcome aboard - and no comment about the table - many of us here build our own for less money and better features.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • double L
    Options
    yes I was going to suggest calibrating the thermometer I dont know if you are familiar with spatchcock method of cooking It works well for me and is always evenly cooked . Good luck and enjoy your egg .
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    It's a learning curve....For sure!
    Doing chicken, crank the temp. it will be just fine.
    One of the most important and the biggest advice I can give....
    Cook to temp.
    Hot, cool, long, slow....It really all comes down to temp.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi and Welcome,
    AS mentioned before, the chicken can be cooked much hotter. Ask questions on this forum and stay with it, you will love your Egg.
    You are right about the BGE Tables, they look good in the catalog, but they are very poor quality for the money. Most of us build our own. Check out the Table Forum on this site and also the Naked Whiz page. Again, you can get plenty of help, ideas, and good advice. :) .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Well, I had to take my daughter out to her tutoring session, just got home. The piece of chicken spent about 4.5 hours in the egg. Both my wife & I expected it to be charcoal by the time we got home. It wasn't. It was over done, pretty dry. But edible if one were hungry.

It was only one small piece of breast meat. I sort of figured round 1 would not go so well. So no tears by me.

About the table, I assume that the policy here is not to discuss $$, but let's just say my dealer made the table worth while. Tomorrow, I screw, sand, and finish. The table. Eventually, I will do something regarding a new table, building one. I like the idea of tiling over a table. That looks pretty cool.

Take care,

edg
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I cooked 40 pieces of chicken using indirect method at 350 on Sunday. It took 45 minutes for most pieces and all was done in 75 minutes. An independent and highy critical judging staff (wife, son, 2 grandsons, brother and sister-in-law) judged all chicken to be very juicy. I cooked spatccocked chicken both direct and indirect (go to http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm)and the breast meat was moist and juicy. In fact, I just pulled a chicken breast (entire breast, two pieces normally) and heated it up in microwave. It was delicious. I chopped it up because I couldn't eat it all and made chicken salad out of it.

Enjoy!