Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Javalina

Options
Marlin Darlin
Marlin Darlin Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While discussing a wild pig sighting a friend started talking about javalinas. He said that while on a hunt in Texas when he was young that they cooked and ate the backstrap from a javalina and that it was great. Has anyone tasted one or cooked one on the EGG? So hard to imagine a "low and slow" javalina.I'm freezing cold and bored to tears in south Georgia and thought this would be an intertaining question!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In this part of the world you use the backstrap and add pig to make a summer sausage.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Haven't smoked a javalina but I have smoked a Russian hog shoulder

101_2126640x480.jpg

101_2131640x480.jpg

101_2133640x480.jpg

It's all pork to me B)
  • breadbasket
    Options
    You always knew your luck was bad if you went Javalina hunting and got one. LOL
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll send this along to my bud.
  • brain-game
    Options
    I agree w/ the TX comment. Growing up in south Texas, we would use them mixed for sausage.

-Atlanta, GA
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have processed 5 wild pigs in the last year and all have been very good eating. All were caught in a trap in West/Central Texas. All were young sows about 125#. We have game camera pics of 250# boars in the trap, but the trap is 4 feet tall and they climbed over the top before we got there!

The tenderloins have been outstanding, and the pork shoulders have been very good although about 1/2 the size of store bought. I have been cooking the picnic and butt together as one piece.

My first try at cooking the ribs didn't turn out nearly as well as store bought baby backs from larger pigs. I may have overtrimmed them as they were really lean. The good news is that the trimmed meat was turned into some of the best sausauge I have ever had, and I still have some of it left over to try my hand at curing bacon. I would certainly not call what we have trapped javelina, or russian boar, really feral hogs - hogs descended from domesticated ones, but have been running wild a few generations. It has been very satisfying to process the hogs, cook them on the egg, and have people ooh and ahh over the meal.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.