Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butchers on the History Channel

Options
Hawkcigar
Hawkcigar Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see that the History Channel is going to have a show on the world of butchers and meat processing this Thursday at 11 am Central Time. I'll set the DVR to record so I can watch it after work and thought others may want to do the same. Makes me kind of sad because my neighborhood butcher that was just a couple of blocks away closed up shop last month.

Modern Marvels: The Butcher.
In a carnivorous world, a butcher is a necessary link in the food chain, carving a carcass of unsavory flesh into mouthwatering cuts. We trace the grisly trade's evolution--from yesteryear's butcher-on-every-corner to today's industrial butcher working on a "disassembly" line. We tour the infamous remains of the Chicago Stockyards, where Upton Sinclair, Clarence Birdseye, and refrigeration changed butchering forever; witness high-speed butchering; and travel to a non-stop sausage factory. And if you're still squeamish, a USDA inspector offers the lowdown on HACCP--the country's new system of checks and balances on everything from quality grading to E. coli, Salmonella, and Mad Cow Disease. Finally, we visit the last bastion of old-school butchering--the rural custom butcher, who slaughters, eviscerates, skins, and cuts to his customer's wishes

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's probably been on before but I haven't seen that one. I'll either record or catch it on the next showing. It should be interesting. Mike
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Truly a LOST ART! ;) I woud LOVE to see it!My Grandpa raised,feed out,slaughtered,butchered,processed,cured and anything else you can imagine rite there on the farm.DAYUM I wish I would have been old enough for him to teach me! :)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    this is a repeat. ..it was a very interesting episode....i remember when i was a kid, my uncle harry had corner market in mt. ranier maryland ... had one of those heavy duty butcher blocks in the back where he butchered meats down from the primal cuts. . .i'd love to have one of those old school blocks if i could find one. . . .
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    The only butcher I've seen on the History Channel is Adolph Hitler.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I saw it a few weeks ago. It's a pretty interesting show. I was amazed to learn that when a calf reaches adolescent age, they are sent to a facility where they are fed almost constantly with limited mobility, taking them from approx 800#'s to 1500#'s in 2-3 weeks.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I have one it is 24 inches square and 24 inches deep. It sits on 4 wooden legs and is at waist level.
    Love it and would not part with it for thousands of dollars.
    It is at least 50 years old..
    E.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    You can get the DVD on Amazon for 1.99 plus 2.99 shipping for those who might me curious.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    emilluca,
    Hey Thanks for that last comment!
    I'll check into that for sure, since we only get 8 channels on a good day.(no cable up here on the mounain!)
    And the History channel is NOT one of them!

It does make for more reading and cooking time, however. :laugh: