Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Cooking On My Egg

Options
Roundman
Roundman Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The BGE works great. I cooked hamburgers over my lunch hour the burgers were very moist. I would like to know if someone has a good simple way to cook a whole chicken. I purchase on of those vertical chicken stands.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Roundman,
    You can't go wrong with The Naked Whiz's dead simple spatchcocked chicken. (check his website and use a raised grid)
    I don't know how you could make a mistake and the taste/flavor is probly the best you have made on a grill.
    If you like chicken you must try it. I really don't like chicken on a grill very much, ('cept wings ;)) but IF I cooked a lot of chicken, this is how I would do it. :)
    You can't hardly go wrong and everyone loves the taste. Super simple and tastes great!
    later,
    ChefRD

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    The stands are OK, Roundy, but one of the best ways to do a whole chicken is to cut the backbone out and lay it flat (i.e. butterfly it). I want get into the terminology thing, but this is commonly called spatchcocking around here and on some other forums. Slather with your favorite rub or seasoning and cook direct at 350° with the skin side up for an hour or so. Flip and cook 15-30 mins with skin side down until done (165° in breast or 180° in thigh).[p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Roundman,
    i for one always do mine verticle with beer cans up the butt. . .others prefer spatchcock method. ...either one is great. .. and if you have standard verticle roasters that won't hold a beer can, i have also simply put a can of beer right in the fire box. . .this way you still get the benefit of the beer steaming the chicken. . .[p]stick your chickens on the verticle roasters on a raised grid over an inverted plate setter at about 325 - 350 dome temps . . .rub the birds with a little olive oil and your favorite rub (dizzy pig tsunami spin is fantastic on chicken). . .for standard size fryers/small roasters (in the 4 pound range. . .one and half hours is almost perfect. . .you have never had such moist chicken IMHO. ..[p]enjoy

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Roundman,
    Nothing to it. Just follow the link.
    350° for 1 - 1.5 hours.

[ul][li]Chicken on the egg[/ul]