Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

roof vent vs. ceiling fan in outdoor kitchen?

Options
sew quik
sew quik Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi,

I am in the planning stages of my outdoor kitchen with (hopefully) two eggs under a hexagonal roof. It will be on the edge of the pool with one wall of the kitchen being the swim-up bar, like this picture:

http://www.luxurypools.com/companies/companyprofiles/companyprofile.aspx?companyId=25

The two eggs will be on the far side counter from the pool. They will be almost at the edge of the roof, so some of the smoke will hopefully go out from under the edge of the roof. There will also be dry side seating near the eggs. I was going to put in a ceiling fan in the middle of the roof for cooling and also to displace smoke.

The question that I have for the experienced Eggers using an ODK under a roof is whether I should plan a cupola or other type of central roof vent, or whether a single hanging fan without a vent will be enough. Obviously the time to decide this is now, not after the roof is built and I figure out there is too much smoke...

thanks,

sew quik

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Why don't you go to a used restaurant equipment place. You might be able to pick up a used hood and build it in. Not really neccessary but it would be nice to have.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sew quik
    Options
    Do you mean like a large range hood with a fan and an exhaust vent? This might be cheaper than a cupola or roof vent...
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    sew quick, I just finished a very similar build, minus the pool, your plan looks very cool.
    My eggs are in a table right under the edge of the roof, I do get some smoke, however it has never been a real problem. some smoke vents out the cupola, not all of it.
    the vented hood will provide more positive ventilation.

DSC00210.jpgDSC00209.jpg

good luck
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I have 2 eggs under roof offset under my porch. We have a top end residential vent over them, but it does not draw enough to eliminate the smoke on some cooks. I am considering dropping down a 'wall' to trap the smoke above the eggs and going to a commercial hood - just worried about the noise.

Ceiling fan only spreads the smoke around, not out the screens.

If I had a freestanding cabana-type ODK like yours, I would put a open double roof (cupola) type roof on it (my neighbor has one- no egg, but a fire pit) and it really works well. That is also the design "Sparky" is using on his ODK.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=582909&catid=1
  • Little Steven
    Options
    sew quik,

Yes. It is easier to get a larger hood like that. They are usually fairly cheap used if they don't have the fire extinguishing built in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sew quik
    Options
    Thanks for all the valuable input. As nothing is built yet, it seems that the double roof with a vent (like "Sparky" has) is the way to go. I am not really enthusiastic about the bulk, noise and cost of a commercial vent system, and will have the Eggs positioned on the edge of the roof (like Fire Egger does), which should minimize smoke. I will put ceiling fan(s) in anyway, for warm weather here in Maryland.

As an backup for the potential smoke problem, I was hoping to put in a 1300 cfm attic ventilator in between the two roofs to pull the smoke under the roof up and out, like this item:

http://www.amazon.com/Ventamatic-CX1500-Power-Gable-Ventilator/dp/B000LNII4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265673414&sr=8-1

maybe in the back of the gap between the two roof layers of the double roof??

Well, if they are willing to trudge through the 36-46" of snow that is on the ground now, some contractors are coming this week to survey, scratch their heads and hopefully give estimates...

I asked this is a separate post about multiple Eggs, and it seems like most of you guys have two large BGE's, which is what I will probably put in. The question that I have is whether a small Egg goes comfortably on top of a 36" countertop? If so, I will not have to design the flagstone countertop with a cutout for it.....

thanks again,

Raj