Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Chicken Thighs ala Thirdeye

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had a whole tray of chicken thighs that needed to be cooked and I thought I'd give Thirdeye's method a try.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/perfect-thigh-work-in-progress.html

I gotta say that scraping the fat off the skins was perhaps the biggest pain in the ass food prep activity I've yet to tackle. After about my 6th one, I finally began to catch on to a technique that worked. I didn't have the triangular paint scraper tool that Thirdeye recommends, so I went through a variety of knives with different blade sytles before I finally settled on a chopping knife with a very straight cutting edge. I did not de-bone them.

So FINALLY when the fat scraping was done, I seasoned the thighs with a combination of DP Shaking the Tree and Tsunami Spin. I reapplied the skins, and I found that it's really not necessary to to hold them in place with a toothpick. I toothpicked some, others, just laid the skin back on and they all held just fine.

Cooked them per Thirdeye's instructions, raised, between 250-275. While I'm sure these weren't competition ready, they were pretty darn good. You could take a bite of the thigh without the rest of the skin sliding off and without getting a mouthful of fat.

All said and done, it was worth the effort. Figuring out your scraping technique and having the right tools is probably key. Next time I do this, I will probably be able to prep the skins about half the time.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great feedback!! I've wondered about that recipe and technique. I'll give those a try for certain now. Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I looked at the pictoral from thirdeye, and while I can see the value in it, and I will probably try it it, I can see how that process might make me want to poke myself in the eye with a pencil.

Congrats on your thighs and a successful experiment.