Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope you guys don't get tired of us newbies asking questions. I really do appreciate all the help!

I found out at 3 pm that my mother-in-law and family friend drove all the way up from Brunswick to celebrate my birthday tonight. Well, my wife said "honey, run back home and cook a couple of those chickens like you cooked once before." Well, I drove to the grocery store and instead of the 3 to 4 lbs that they had they only had 5 lb'ers. So I grabbed 2 of them, brought them up, fired up the egg and cut the spines out. Prepped them with EVOO, Raising the Steaks (Naked Whiz's site) and Dizzy Pig Dust on the other one. Put my platesetter in place, my drip pan and grid. 350. Went to put them on and the darn things touch! These are big breasted birds so I turned them breast out and butts together. Will they cook okay? I am anticipating at least an hour to reach 160 breast and 180 thigh temp but will they shrink apart and cook where they are touching? Or do I stop worrying about burning and slide them closer to their respective edges? I really want to impress my mother-in-law and produce the same pretty birds like I did last time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Kew_el_steve
    Options
    First of all...don't panic. In a situation like this, that's the biggest problem. They will shrink and cook okay. I use 350 dome, indirect, 30 minutes on a side, skin up, then down, then up equals about 90 minutes, the thermometer will let you know when they are ready. They will take a little longer on this cook because there is more mass there now to get to the proper temp. Do what you know is right: indirect, 350, cook until they are done...don't look at the clock. When they are done, they are done. Relax and have a couple cold ones. Go Saints.
    ;)B)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I usually find that 5 pounders take 1 1/4 hour at 350. Touching is no problem, but you might wish to cut the breast/wing from the leg/thigh and they will fit better. rotate them after 30 minutes or so. Happy Birthday! You old enough for an adult beverage yet?
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    Wishing you a Happy Birthday - enjoy the cook and your inlaws
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Thanks! I just got my Thermapen (thanks Molly and Eli!) and I will check them at the one hour mark and make sure they are not touching for the last part of the cook. I really don't want to cut them because I like the presentation. My wife hates the word "Spatchcocked" and will not allow me to say it in her presence. I have to call them "butterflied" around her. And yes, sadly enough, I am old enough to enjoy an adult beverage. However since I have to drive the food back to my in-law's house I shall not imbide at this time. But it is a really good idea! LOL!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Okay, breath in, breath out...it is just chicken....KFC is open.....
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Next time you might want try them direct at 350-375 with your grid raised to the felt line. I do them this way, skin side up, and never have to turn them. And like someone else said, "Don't panic, it's just chicken!" :lol:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    they are still not done! Breast is about 147 and thighs are 165...man, I need these puppies to get done! They smell good and the meat feels good when I stick the pen in them but the internal temp is still not high enough...I don't want pink chicken when I serve, my wife will freak and then her sister will freak and the chaos will begin....breath in, breath out....
  • field hand
    Options
    I use the same method as described by Capt Frank, raised grid, direct at 350* and have had good luck with it. As suggested, you might want to give this a try in the future. Not much maintenance with this cook, time for visiting with friends, or in-laws.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Oh no - please - I can't talk about inlaws! Mine left not long ago if you recall and I'm still taking 12 Advil a day to rid myself of this headache...some 2 weeks later! :laugh:

I know, I know - I should be ashamed.

LJ