Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pork Butt, couple of questions...

silver00
silver00 Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks-

I'm getting ready to do my first pork butt on the LBGE for the super bowl party tomorrow. Here's some questions for the experts out there:

1. It's an 8.5lb'r (see below), with a big 'ole fat cap on the bottom. Do I trim any of that? If not, do I put it on fat up/down/or on the side?

2. I'm taking the pork to a friends house. Pull it here, or pull it there?

Thanks! Wish me luck. This forum is a fountain of useful information.

782364862_wM3RR-XL.jpg

Comments

• I'd leave the cap on ...myself....and depends on your time line...pull it before ya go.....but can do it there also ?
  • Sorry cook with cap on top side
  • I disagree, Trim the fat so you get a better bark and usable meat. I feel the fat is useless and I woulnt want to serve as part of a sandwich.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I would cook it fat cap down and carry it over wrapped in HD foil in a prewarmed cooler and pull it there.
  • I leave the fat on and cook fat side up. By the time the butt is done, the fat is all rendered and in the drip pan.

(Lots of different opinions here :) )
  • So let's see...we have with and without the cap, and top and bottom, and pull here and there. As you can see, there is no "right" way. Do what works for you. The main thing is, it will probably come out okay in the end. Relax, have a couple brews, don't stress. ;)B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If it were mine.I would not trim anything and I would cook it Fat Cap down and I would take it to my friends house and pull it there. ;)
  • i agree with "trim the fat". you don't need the fat cap to add "moisture" to the butt. there is plenty of fat inside the meat to do the job. if you don't trim the fat before cooking, you will do so afterwards, and you will lose all the seasoning you put on.

but the most important thing is--put it on the egg tonight!! i will most likely take 2 hrs/lb (at 250 dome) to cook to 200F.

pull, wrap in aluminum foil, and pack in a cooler with towels for insulation. put a folded bath towel in the bottom of the cooler, then the foiled butt, then loosely pack more towels around and over the butt.

it should stay at safe (above 140) temps for a couple of hours (YMMV). pull it when you get to your destination. if necessary, you can hold the pulled pork in a warm oven (covered dish; add a little water) till dinnertime.

go colts!!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you can trim the fat cap to approx. 1/8 inch thicknees. This way, it renders outs, creates bark and won't kill the arteries too bad. cooke fat cap down.

Since this is your first butt, here are a couple ideas:

use plenty of lump and give it a good hour to burn in and come to temp.

check your thermometer for accuracy, boiling water at 212, turn the screw in back to adjust.

with my buttts, I find once the butt comes out the plateau stage, it will take a little over 2 hours to get to 200 internal, with grid temp 235.

if running fast, you can dial down the egg temp a smidge to slow down the cook.

if running late, you can foil the butt and jack the temp the 350. butts are very forgiving

foil when pulling off the egg and do the cooler towel thing.

take it to your friends and pull it there, you'll need some gloves as it will be hot.

sprinkle a litte rub on the pulled pork for added flavor.

I'm doing two butts so i'll be following the above too. goood luck. t

butts0614x2.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Totally agree with you. I trim it all off, it works for me.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Thanks everyone for the advice. :laugh:

Since it's already rubbed, I'm going to leave the fat cap on and cook it fat side down. I'll take it over in a cooler, and pull it there.

Assuming I don't screw it up that is. It's going on soon. I'll post pics when it's done.
  • I think the fat adds a lot of flavor. I always leave ot top, trim prior to pulling.
  • I've done it both ways and can't really tell difference, I chose to trim and fat down, less mess in the drip pan that way B) Also with fat down don't need to worry about fat taking off all of the rub. They are very forgiving and your friends will ask for your "Famous Pulled Pork" more often :woohoo:

Enjoy
    Ken