Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl Pork Butt

Options
Tripel
Tripel Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking the pork butt on Saturday (for convenience sake) but I don't know what to do when it's finished. Should I pull the meat before refrigerating?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Definately pull it while it is still warm. You can rewarm it in a covered aluminum pan in Egg or oven or just use a crockpot.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Pull it, sauce it, put it it in Ziploc bags and refrigerate it.

Then you can just stick the bags in boiling water to reheat. Just make sure the bag's seal stays above water.

Vacuum packing is even better.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    I agree Celtic, Vacuum seal and don't worry about it boiling.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    My preference is to not sauce it prior to storage. I am of the opinion that Pulled Pork shouldnt be sauced until on the plate, or bun. Heating pulled pork with sauce results in the meat absorbing the sauce which significantly changes the texture. I prefer sauce to be "on" not "in" the meat. It can be spongy. All just my humble opinion.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I am doing the same thing but I am smoking it tomorrow night and then foiling and putting in a plastic bag. Take a bath is ice water and into the fridge. 4-5 hours before the game I am throwing them in the oven at like 250 (300 if I am trying to get it done fast) in the foil until the probe reads 180-200ish. Still turns out great and all ready to pull
    nothing but empty plates left behind!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That's just crazy talk! My way is much better than your way, even though I never tried it your way. :P

Actually Ron, I do it the same way. I never add sauce until the pork is on the bun.
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    celtic,
    please give me more basic details on the reheat...

- put in boiling water?
    or
    - put it in the water while you bring it to a boil?

how long do you boil?

Thanks steve